Honda ATV Forum banner

420 Rancher fm smoking

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  retro 
#1 ·
Hello! My 420 started smoking from muffler, white to gray smoke. Pulled plug and it's black and a bit wet. No oil in muffler. Oil and coolant levels remain the same. What could the issue be?maybe valve gasket? Any help very much appreciated.

#5 ·
Ok.... You may have a water pump that's leaking water/ coolant into your engine causing the smoke...
No I doubt that its a bad gas problem... take your gas cap off and smell it...

#8 ·
A wet and black spark plug generally indicates oil fouling. I'd check the compression on it following the procedure in the service manual... AFTER adjusting the valves.

If it was coolant washing the chamber down, the spark plug would begin to wash clean and develop a bronze colored tint on the center insulator.

Has this motor been submerged before?

#10 ·
There are some stickies you can read HERE... you'll find valve adjustment near the top I think. The service manual tells all about that too. I'd read and familiarize yourself with both if I were you. Its not very difficult to do once you understand it.

If you got water in the motor being sunk you might be rebuilding it someday soon though. Did it ingest water and stop the motor when it happened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.