Honda ATV Forum banner

420 ms clutch adj

714 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mud99 
#1 ·
rancher was trying to go when shifter was in up position, so i adj on clutch, and i must have turned it to much. i got it so out of whack that i couldnt even get it back in gear. i called honda and tech told me something prbly fell off on inside of motor, and they would prbly have to take front of motor off to repair. does this make sense?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. It's possible, the ball retainer or the nut that the adjusting screw tightens in, might have fallen off inside the engine if you turned the adjusting screw too much. On the other hand, it might not be adjusted correctly.

The proper way to adjust is to loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise slowly, until you feel resistance. Then, turn the adjusting screw clockwise 1/4 turn. Now, hold the adjusting screw while you tighten down the locknut.

Note: If you've already turned the adjusting screw counterclockwise a lot, you may have to turn it back clockwise a few turns and then start over. My guess is that it's just out of adjustment, but if it won't adjust, something may have fallen out of place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.