Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunk my '13 420 this past weekend. Got all water out it runs good. My problem is a ridiculously high idle. I've cleaned the IACV, verified that it makes a short buzz and it spins when you take it out and turn the key on. It is clean as a whistle. Where should I look next?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where the throttle cable enters the throttle body make sure the cable is all the way in at the entry point. Also remove throttle cable cover and make sure mud isn't in there causing problems with the mechanisms.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cable is all the way in paint mark is aligned. And the throttle linkage behind the cover is clean as a whistle .

I tried to remove the throttle body today, I removed all plugs (forgetting to relieve fuel pressure first) so I plugged it back in and started the bike to relieve the fuel pressure, and it idled fine-ish , still not just right tho . I went ahead and started to remove the throttle body, and in the process of taking off fuel hose, I snapped the fuel pipe in half. So I've got one ordered lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am having the same issue with my daughters 2008 Honda rancher? the manual says probably some top end issues. What in the top end would cause a high idle? is the fuel injected have a timing adjustment?

·
Registered
136 Posts
What they mean by topend is a valve problem but unless you recently had them adjusted then that's not it.
Most frequently with idle problems is throttle cable problems, vacuum leak or sensor trouble sticking at the throttle body.
.......or if a bike has been sunk could be clogged jets or clogged temperature sensor at the air box.
A VERY important thing to do disconnect the sensors at the throttle body and clean them then add dielectric grease to the connections. The grease is very very important and can save a great deal of time trouble shooting to connections that look "clean" to you.
Also change that spark plug for good measure.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts