Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, at the dunes today and not sure what happened. Not sure if I killed the battery or what is actually going on. Bike has ran fantastic all day, no issues whatsoever. Then my buddy got royally stuck and left the ignition on for about an hour, possibly with the lights on, just don't remember. Anyways, got pulled started and ran fine. Ran for about 10 minutes and then hit my reserve in my tank. Tried to start and had absolutely no power. Didn't even attempt to start. Got pull started again, fired right up and runs good. Ran for a good hour or so (idling) and then went back to camp. Again, completely dead with nothing at all. Like it never charged anything at all. Hooked up a jump pack and I have nothing at all. No lights, no neutral, no nothing. Again, pull starts no problem and runs and idles great..

I'm at the dunes and have no tools or diag equipment with me, so right now just need to know major things to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
How old is your battery? You should get it load tested. Do you own a good twenty five-ish dollar multimeter?

Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a fluke 87 at home. No idea what shape the battery is in, I've only had the quad for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Check for dirty/loose battery cables or a dirty/loose ground. Those would make you have no power and make it not charge. Thats what it sounds like to me. I always just loosen both cables and tighten them a few times to clean them on the trail. But sand paper or a wire brush does the trick when you get home. Also coat them in die electric grease when you do the finaly repair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up just being the POS cable broke off the battery cable. Didnt notice until i started messing with things. Easy enough fix!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts