Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forum and to atvs in general I have a 01 440ex it was a race bike in its prime and everything seems pretty solid with it the only issue I have with starting is if the battery isn't above 12volts it will crank and crank and crank but no fire.. If I charge it to 12 it pops right off is this a problem? The only time there is an issue is when I forget to turn the key off the bike charges itself fine and otherwise starts well..

· Registered
457 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum and to atvs in general I have a 01 440ex it was a race bike in its prime and everything seems pretty solid with it the only issue I have with starting is if the battery isn't above 12volts it will crank and crank and crank but no fire.. If I charge it to 12 it pops right off is this a problem? The only time there is an issue is when I forget to turn the key off the bike charges itself fine and otherwise starts well..
Do you hear the starter turn? If you don't know what starter is. It's cylinder-like thing towards bottom rear of engine. A wire come from solenoid/battery area to trigger it

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
A fully charged battery should measure between 12.6 & 12.8 volts (after sitting for 24 hours if you just took it off the charger). A battery measuring 12.2 volts or below is dead. If yours measures dead or below, there be your problem...

Welcome to the forums!

· Registered
1,203 Posts
A fully charged battery should measure between 12.6 & 12.8 volts (after sitting for 24 hours if you just took it off the charger). A battery measuring 12.2 volts or below is dead. If yours measures dead or below, there be your problem...

Welcome to the forums!
In addition to what Retro said. Whenever you start it do you have it on a charger? Does it sound like your starter is turning over faster when you have the charger on it? If your looking at a getting a new battery. I would recommend a gel filled battery instead of a acid filled battery. I have had a gel battery in my 400ex for almost 6 years now. Welcome to the Forums :) Send some pics of the bad girl too

· Registered
559 Posts
Reactions: XplicitRacing6
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.