Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually a XR400 owner and this is a XR400 engine (I heard XR400 and 400EX are almost identical so here I am). I was wondering if any of you 400EX owners have had the same problem I'm having?

I can't get my timing marks to align as the manual says, it's slightly off. Just done an engine rebuild and I didn't look at the timing marks before tear down because I was replacing the cam chain anyway.

I thought maybe the new cam chain was defective so I refitted the old cam chain and the alignment is a bit worse if I remember correctly. I reinstalled the flywheel right up against the woodruff key to try and get the timing marks closer but it didn't make a difference.

Cam chain is new
Cam chain tensioner is fitted and extends/retracts properly
Camshaft lobes facing down
Piston is at TDC

With the flywheel aligned, I can see the right cam shaft gear line above the cyl head and I can't see the left cam shaft gear line.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
i would guess, seeing how your not using the CORRECT engine ?, this is what happends ^^ .

Reactions: raymon

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I’m not sure if you have this fixed yet or not, but have you tried adjusting the chain one tooth in each direction on the crankshaft sprocket timing gear? That gear is a ton smaller and one tooth would equate to a very small adjustment to the cam alignment marks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I’m not sure if you have this fixed yet or not, but have you tried adjusting the chain one tooth in each direction on the crankshaft sprocket timing gear? That gear is a ton smaller and one tooth would equate to a very small adjustment to the cam alignment marks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts