Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 00 trx400ex that the owner said had a smoke problem so i figured if might need some top end work ..... I was taking the timing covers to bring my motor to TDC ..... when I removed the large center cover oil started to pour out ...... when I drained it there was way to much oil coming out from the drain plug ... it was thinned out with gasoline ..... I'm pretty sure the guy I got it from wasn't very adept with mechanical skills

I'm hoping g I don't have Togo into the top end if I just change the oil and add the correct amount ..... hopefully taking care of the smoking problem ......

Please let me know any thoughts you might have and thank you for any and all help

God bless

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is supposed to be oil in the stator/magneto area but the fuel in there is caused by a leaking carb. Clean/rebuild the carb and fix that issue first. With fresh oil & no gas the smoking will hopefully be reduced. Also: replace sparkplug and service air filter, it's possible for that to be polluted with gas as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is supposed to be oil in the stator/magneto area but the fuel in there is caused by a leaking carb. Clean/rebuild the carb and fix that issue first. With fresh oil & no gas the smoking will hopefully be reduced. Also: replace sparkplug and service air filter, it's possible for that to be polluted with gas as well.
It turned out to be the valve stem seals ..... no more smoke and plenty of power

Thank you for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts