Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just picked up a 400ex and I realized that at idle the motor is really loud. It isn't bad when it revs high or anything, but its pretty loud at idle. According to the previous owner it was freshly rebuilt too. I just changed the oil and spark plug in it as well. So are these just naturally loud motors? Or is mine already on its way out:frown:

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Loud" can mean many different things. Loud from the exhaust, the manifolds, the crankcase, the cylinder?

Is it louder above or below the motor? Front or back? What kinda loud? knocking, pinging, rapping of gears?

I just got a 400ex bored 26 over and oh yes, she is one loud girl. But I do hear a "gears winding and working" from the sides of the motor a lot. Now I've had problems with oil issues and cylinder rings which I'm checking today, and I'll hopefully know more if it's just a normal thing or I need to check trans and crank case items after I rebuild the top.

The point is, loud can me a massive number of different things. Try pin pointing the specific "loud" you hear. Take a stethoscope (like your doc's one, only there are specific ones for car mechanics), and start hunting down the location of the noise. Then try and describe it or get a video of it if at all possible and post it on youtube.

Oh, and the real help will be along shortly. I'm just a noob praying he doesn't screw up. ;)

EDIT: And let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Are there any after market cams or anything like that? or is it a tapping noise? i agree with the first post loud can mean a hand full of different things. Discribe the noise the best you can.

Oh and welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 400ex makes quite the valve noise, but we are fixing to get the big bore and head work :yeahbaby01:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its kind of a ticking/knocking noise. it sounds like its coming from the cylinder/head. it has a fresh 416, not sure if it has a cam or not though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts