Honda ATV Forum banner

400ex fuse blowing

16K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Sninn69 
#1 ·
have a 2001 400ex, keeps popping fuses when i turn on the brights, when the lows are on it flickers and when i get the rpms up the light dims wayy down. any ideas? i just got a new voltage regulator and battery, didn't fix it. electric start does work.

#4 ·
Hey,

My 400 had a very similar problem at one time.
Mine would also go completely dead, as in no lights or neutral light.

The solution was to redo the grounds.

Turns out one of the ends was frayed.

I cleaned the metal on all the contact points and replaced the bad ground.

No more problems after that.

Let us know,
Oh400ex

#5 ·
bad bulb or bulbs? it has two lows and two highs, been looking and haven't found any wires that are grounding or have housing rubbed off.

#6 ·
My guess would be the switch assembly on the bars is full of dirt and corrosion

#8 ·
the switch assembly is fine i just opened that up looking for anything that may be loose in there. i took the bulbs out turned the key switched from lows to highs and didn't pop the fuse so i'm going to attempt new headlights

#9 ·
Yep, my guess would be one of the headlight bulbs is causing the problem.

#10 ·
A fused filament inside one of the bulbs must be shorting to the bulb base instead of burning...Swap in new bulbs,clean n tighten all grounds,test all headlight/taillight circuit/wires with a meter for continuity ,or a short ...:icon_ devil:

#12 ·
just because I'm 16 doesn't mean I'm a jacka**. i work at a Napa store. I know something about something. I am only running one bulb right now and it is working fine. what bulb type is it H6? looked it up at work but didn't have any in stock so i didn't really look into that too much.

#13 ·
It uses the H6M bulbs.

#15 ·
Yup, the blinker fluid joke is a long time tradition around here! No matter whats wrong with any vehicle the first thing to check is the blinker fluid AND the air pressure in the left rear tire! Hahaha

#16 ·
i am just not using the headlight and it hasn't had a problem besides rolling it down a hill at bluff creek atv park near bussey, iowa. i will end up completely redoing my entire quad soon anyways.

#18 ·
ordered 2 light bulbs and put them in. now they are working perfectly strangley. so problem solved with new light bulbs!

#20 ·
i've switched headlight sets several times. each time it works for a while then goes dead again, popping the fuse when the headlights go out. just removed the bulky button switch and put a 1 button handlebar start on. now doing the headlight switches because i know those go bad. i'll end up mounting the switch next to the key, and on is brights. so, what colors are what for the headlight switches?
my guesses based off: Recent image by Moose2pointtwo on Photobucket
brown: power (+)
Black: ground (-)
Blue: HI
White: LOW

ground the black to frame.
brown to one side of the switch for power
blue to the other side of the switch for hi beam?

help me out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.