Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 400ex and I bought a 16 tooth Renthal Front Sprocket for it but when I installed it with the factory clip from the old sprocket the new sprocket won't stay on .The factory clip on the old sprocket slid on the spine turned a little then the bolt holes lined up and the clip sat in a groove. Has anyone else had this problem or did I get the wrong sprocket.
Thanks
Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Wow that's alot of teeth on the front you are loosing alot of torque.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You would have to increase the rear to a 41 tooth sprocket to keep the stock ratio. Just changing the front to a 16 tooth will give you a little better top end.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Yea I was surprised to hear 16 at first. I have a friggin 13. lol

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Yeah me too!! 13/36. I was 13/38 I got great mid to top right now but my torque is lacking a little, so I think I'm going to change the rear sprocket back since I'm not racing or anything.

Yea I was surprised to hear 16 at first. I have a friggin 13. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I finially got a new o-ring chain and sprockets for mine. 14/38 for now. Will probably bump it to 14/40 or 13/38 if it's not enough low end for me.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I like my stock gearing. It seems to suit my riding techniques. When I had my 450r I palyed with gearing depending on where I was riding it. Had a few sets and if the track was a long track I opened the gearing up and if it was short I closed it. It always seemed to help my lap times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts