Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need a new frame for my 05 400ex. I have a friend who will give me a frame for an 01 400ex. Will my engine and stuff fit inside this older model frame?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yes, the frames are identical. They rarely ever get changed. I have an 08 that has parts compatible with an 01.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
the swing arm is longer on the 99-04 frame

That isn't going to matter. the pivot bushings,carier axles are all the same. Why would it be longer?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Agree^^^^^^^^^ I looked all over the net and could not find any info to support this. I am not sure on that. I found info of a stock swingarm length to be 18.25. Thats the best I could find. Did not specifi a year.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I have a '99-'02 service manual and a '05-'09 service manual and I can't find anything about the length of the swingarms. On the other hand, I did find that the overall length of the '99-'02 is listed as 72.2 inches and the overall length for the '05-'09 is listed as 71.7 inches. Whether the difference is in the length of the swingarm, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Very possible, the 04/05 TRX450 has a shorter swingarm than the 06+ models. A bigger stance equals more stability. That is why most after market a arms don't only go wider but they push your wheels forward.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Is till would like to know where the difference is!
is it possible that the different years came with different size tires and so that could affect the measurement?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes the old style 400ex's have a longer swingarm im not saying it wont work the just shortend it up on the newer ones. i knw this b/c i have a 06 and a 04 and my 04 is longer than the 06 when side by side.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
The frames are the same so the swing difference shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
it is good fro stability especialy hill climbs and stuff i can tell a difference when i go to ride wheelies on the 04 and the 06 the 06 is easier bc it has a shorter stance.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. I'm getting ready to put a 400ex swing on my 250X I will gain about 4 inches.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
you have to change up the lighting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts