Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know who makes this cam? Or how to set the valve lash for it, if it's not stock?
It has a "W" (or a "M", not sure which side is up) in the middle of it on one side, and a "J" in the middle of the other side. Can"t see any other markings or numbers on it.
It does have something that looks like a pin on it, near the sprocket, that might have been used for the decompressor?
The bearing comes off easily on the sprocket side, not sure if the other bearing comes off or not. It spins freely though, so am happy leaving that alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
looks like a stock cam with decompression ring removed if so the intake gap should be set to .004 and the exhaust to .005..hope this helps

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh and usually if its aftermarket they name of the cam company should be on it i wanna say somewhere in the middle my hotcam says hot cam right on it..dont know about all aftermarket cams but from what ive seen its a stock cam...

·
Registered
76 Posts
sorry for so many posts but i got looking closer at the pics its stock the hole in the side is for the spring in the decompression ring

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Rich250rracer.
That would explain the W wouldn't it!
Checked their site. Webcams shows 3 cams for the 400, and all of them, use the stock valve lash specs.
So as far as setting the valve lash goes, it seems it doesn't matter if it's stock, or webcams. And since it doesn't say hotcam anywhere, I can rule that out.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
76 Posts
did you see if it was web cause i took specs of the one i have that has the same markings and it matches the stock specs perfect with little wear...? unless its just a better aftermarket not and upgrade but just stronger..that would make sense ....

·
Registered
76 Posts
i am going to pick up some odds and ends for the 400exs tomorrow at my wifes uncles honda dealership ill ask him if hes ever seen it and if he could look it up ill take cam with me

·
Registered
683 Posts
did you see if it was web cause i took specs of the one i have that has the same markings and it matches the stock specs perfect with little wear...? unless its just a better aftermarket not and upgrade but just stronger..that would make sense ....
He needs to mic it to check the lobe height, some Web cams were welded and reground stock cams, which would explain the stock casting mark and the removed decompressor mechanism.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rich250rracer, appreciate the tip.
Don't have a tool for that now. Will look into that the next time I have to take it apart. Need to get it back together for a ride this weekend.

·
Registered
76 Posts
rich250 good point that would explain why the one i have has same markings and stock specs...forgot alot of aftermarkets are refurbed oem cams

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 400ex, and just put a cam into it, and the markings are F on one side and on the other it's a W: does anyone know what kind it is??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts