Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for the life of me can't get the axle shaft axle jam nut sleeve or what ever you call it off to remove the brake disk. I have heated it up, beat on it, soaked it for days with on blaster an it will not budge. My question is what can I do to get it off so I can replace my carrier bearings. Not sure if i can cut it off as I already ordered a new sleeve an jam nuts from Honda. Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have had to use a block of wood and a BFH to hit the end of the axle before to pound it through. The whole axle will slide through and the sleeve drops off then the brake hub. Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Nope snap ring only holds the brake stay to the carrier. Axle will slide right through without anything else being removed. Once the axle is out the brake rotor hub will come off and then you remove the c-clip and slide the carrier assembly out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I should be able beat the axle out then.. is it a known problem for the sleeve to get stuck to the axle?? I have seen a few vids of the sleeve coming off with the jam nut an seen it slide off with the brake disk..

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have had one get wedged on there. You will see when it comes off there are fairly long splines that it slides on. Clean them up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder if you have one. They will be full of rust and crud more than likely. The brake rotor hub is absolutely 100% not attatched to that threaded sleeve or either of the nuts. Make sure you use a block of wood or something fairly soft or you will ruin the axle in a hurry. When i did it i put the castle nut back on to add some strength and a thicker area to set the wood against.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts