Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Yah'll, quick question if i may, i have a 99 TRX300FW that is completely stock, i picked up a new 4000lbs winch kit that has pretty much everything to connect up minus the actual atv specific mount. I have sourced a KFi mount that is supposed to be a perfect fit for my atv and it fits my winch model and size, so it should be a straight forward bolt up with hopefully basic electrical connections and disassembly of the actual front of the atv.
Im positive that this is way overkill of a winch but i bought cause it was a great deal in my opinion, am i on the right track for the mount and could this size of winch overload and possibly damage the electrical/charging system on my machine.
Any ideas, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
642 Posts
I've seen 3500lbs winches drain atv batteries very quickly when used, good luck with a 4000lbs winch.
I'd sell it and get a 2000 or 2500lbs winch, it's a light little 300 lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Could you please mention the manufacture/brand of winch?
didnt think it was appropriate or allowed to post brand/manufacturer, its a champion 4000lb winch kit if that matters.

I've seen 3500lbs winches drain atv batteries very quickly when used, good luck with a 4000lbs winch.
I'd sell it and get a 2000 or 2500lbs winch, it's a light little 300 lol.
yah, i figured that might be the case but i already bought the winch, looks like ill just mount it on the front of my trailer, i know its way overkill on the 300, thanks

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
642 Posts
Dont forget to hold it wide open while winching to keep the battery somewhat charged.
I have a neighbor with a 10000lbs winch on a log trailer, he has a large car battery in the back box to run it, the atv's battery died in less than a minute when he tried to use it.

If you need more pulling power than a 2500lbs winch has(you wont on a 300) use a snatch block.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I doubt a 4,000 lbs winch draws much more current than a 2,000 lbs winch pulling the same load. I don't think you will have any problem with it unless you hook the back of atv to a tree and try to pull jeeps out of the mud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts