Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Before going riding at Mines and Meadows I checked my rear brake fluid and seen it was a bit low. So i opened it up and added fresh DOT 4 (recommended) brake fluid. I went riding all day in major dusty conditions and got stuck deep in a mud hole up past my tires. Well as I was riding throughout the day everytime i went to use my rear brakes they make a rubbing sound. They are still making this sound, even if I just drift my quad. I sprayed the hose all thru the brake pads and thought it may be dirt. But it is still doing it. Checked my brake pads for wear and they still have alot of wear to go according to the indicators. I read my owners manual and it says to never add fluid, to have the dealership do this. Do you think I have air in brake line? and if so how do I fix that? Or what else could it possibly be. I would like to fix it myself without going to dealership. Please if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix let me know please. I want to get back out riding!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never bled brakes before. can you give me the steps?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Also check the brake rotor and make sure it isn't warped. Here are the procedures for bleeding the brakes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bled the brakes and have them working great again. I still have the rubbing noise. I got brakecleen too and sprayed it 3 times too. Still have the rubbing noise. It must be a warped rotor. It doesnt look too warped tho. So how can I be certain. And if it is I will just need to replace with a new rotor right?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It doesnt look too warped tho. So how can I be certain. And if it is I will just need to replace with a new rotor right?
That's probably not your problem if it doesn't looked warped. Are you sure it's the brakes making the noise, you might have a bearing going out.

Another thought, maybe you got the brake pads hot and glazed them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts