Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 400ex is leaking oil from the engine head and the rear brakes aren't working and i don't know how to bleed them right. any help please?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Post up a picture of where the oil is coming from. And the best way to bleed brakes is take a clear hose that fits on the bleeder nipple and stick it down into a bottle of clean brake fluid. Then put your open end wrench on the bleeder screw and have someone hold pressure on the brake pedal. Open the bleeder and have them push it all the way down. (Take the cap off the reservoir and top fluid off before all of this of course). When the pedal reaches the bottom have them hold it there and tell you. Tighten the bleeder and have them let up on the pedal. And repeat that process until you see no air bubbles coming out at all. Will usually take 5 or 6 times and keep an eye on the reservoir level the whole process. Us dot 4 brake fluid only!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post up a picture of where the oil is coming from. And the best way to bleed brakes is take a clear hose that fits on the bleeder nipple and stick it down into a bottle of clean brake fluid. Then put your open end wrench on the bleeder screw and have someone hold pressure on the brake pedal. Open the bleeder and have them push it all the way down. (Take the cap off the reservoir and top fluid off before all of this of course). When the pedal reaches the bottom have them hold it there and tell you. Tighten the bleeder and have them let up on the pedal. And repeat that process until you see no air bubbles coming out at all. Will usually take 5 or 6 times and keep an eye on the reservoir level the whole process. Us dot 4 brake fluid only!!!
this won't work? i already used some.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I would bleed the system alot and switch to dot 4. I always had trouble with inconsistant brake pressure and performance with dot 3. And it says to use dot 4 on both reservoir caps. Odd thing is i have a bottle of dot 3-4 fluid in my garage. Not sure how that works honestly but i didnt trust it and got straight dot 4 from a powersports shop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would bleed the system alot and switch to dot 4. I always had trouble with inconsistant brake pressure and performance with dot 3. And it says to use dot 4 on both reservoir caps. Odd thing is i have a bottle of dot 3-4 fluid in my garage. Not sure how that works honestly but i didnt trust it and got straight dot 4 from a powersports shop.
thanks! i'm pretty sure none got in the lines yet so i can just drain the reservoir. i'm more worried about the oil leaking, at first i thought it was coming from a seal in the bottom but it looks like it's coming from everywhere on the head, i don't know exactly where from though. it starts right up and drives perfect now so i have no idea what it could be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's leaking at the top, near the headers.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts