Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering on purchasing a 400ex and was wondering if anyone had experience with them in the snow. It would mainly be used for groomed trails in Quebec, but my concern is getting stuck with it.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
its 2 wheel drive and lower ground clearance< YES you will get stuck at times, but if the trails are hard pack, you will have a FUN, till then LOL

IF LEGAL! most trails I know of don't let atv's on them in winter time< so heads up, you could be asking for troubles??

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I was basing it on many ATV trails, turn into snowmobile trails come winter and that makes riding atv's on them in winter illegal, don't know where your from, so was just letting you know.

a lot has to do with tires on the atv too, as to how well or NOT they do in snow

it will NOT run like a 4x4 atv will, by any mean's
but they can be a bunch of fun in the snow, but IF you live in a snow belt, LOTS OF SNOW< I wouldn;t suggest a sport 2 wheel drive atv PERIOD. it will grow old getting stuck or your buddy's on 4x4 models Always having to stop and wait on you, or pulling you out

the lower ground clearance is a BIG part of things on them once high centered on snow under the atv, it will liuft it up and NO go on traction and STUCK

like most things in 2x4 vehicles, speed tends to be what gets you thru/up and over things LOL

·
Registered
559 Posts
I rode my 400 EX all winter long!

A good set of snow tires will help a lot.

Obviously it's not the best machine for running in deep snow, and you WILL get stuck a few times.

But when the conditions are right, and you can slide around with ease and control, it's a blast!

If possible, maybe get one that's '05 and up so you will have reverse.

I could have used reverse a couple of times, but dragging the machine out of the snow is good exercise! haha

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I've used my TRX300FW most of the winter. Obviously there comes a time where I just can't anymore because the amount of soft snow overtakes my traction.

However, the provincial trails in Quebec are much more packed down than the trails we make in the woods. That being said, there will be no offroading for most of the winter on a 2x4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It should be fine in less than a foot or so of snow. 2WD quads are a blast in the snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You'll get stuck a lot if there's more than a foot of snow or so, but other than that the 400ex is a real fun quad to ride in the snow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts