Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start pulling plastic off, where is the control located? Can I get to it by removing the inner liner, instead of taking the front plastic off?

Premium Member
Maybe easiest by removing the bumper and grill. Here's a pic of oil sensor by your right footpeg--it's the two wire plug at lower right

Attachments

Premium Member
fan control is on front left frame, behind the splash guard. left front tire.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I think that the sensor is fine. I can turn the key to the run position, and the light/fan comes on. I can turn the key off and back on, and sometimes they will stay off, and sometimes they'll come back on. While on, I disconnected both connectors going to the sensor, and they stayed on. I've ordered a control from ebay.

Premium Member
Thanks.
I think that the sensor is fine. I can turn the key to the run position, and the light/fan comes on. I can turn the key off and back on, and sometimes they will stay off, and sometimes they'll come back on. While on, I disconnected both connectors going to the sensor, and they stayed on. I've ordered a control from ebay.
the reason he said the oil temp sensor ?, is because when the fan doesn't come on ?, it's normally the oil temp sensor switch. in your case ?, the fan is coming on even when the oil temp sensor isn't even connected ?, I find this very odd ?, as most fans won't run at all unless the oil temp sensor is good ?. with your fan coming on at all times, even with the connection disconnected ?, yeah, I would think either the fan control unit is bad ?, or you have a short some where from the fan control unit to the sensor switch, which is grounding the wire to the sensor, and making the fan run at all times, this is my thinking anyway :).

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
the reason he said the oil temp sensor ?, is because when the fan doesn't come on ?, it's normally the oil temp sensor switch. in your case ?, the fan is coming on even when the oil temp sensor isn't even connected ?, I find this very odd ?, as most fans won't run at all unless the oil temp sensor is good ?. with your fan coming on at all times, even with the connection disconnected ?, yeah, I would think either the fan control unit is bad ?, or you have a short some where from the fan control unit to the sensor switch, which is grounding the wire to the sensor, and making the fan run at all times, this is my thinking anyway :).
For reference, all of these comments are about the 87 350D.
While the control module is in transit, I'll look for grounded wires.
I checked the clutch adjustment, and there was almost no adjustment to it. It still slips (slightly- it holds good when under moderate acceleration, but if you get on it hard, you can tell it is slipping), and I'm assuming that it is excessive wear on the centrifugal clutch. It only slips when under hard acceleration, with the RPMs in the lower range. I understand that the clutch is fully locked at 2800 and above, so I think that in the past, either Helen, or others, have been pulling hard while the RPM's were low, allowing the centrifugal clutch to wear prematurely. I doubt that she wants to spend the money to put new clutches in it, so I'll tell her that they need to change how they are using it, to slow down the wear on the clutch.
One thing that I do not like- there is no articulation in the suspension. I still find the machine fascinating, and I'd love to have one. But, I do appreciate the creature comforts of my 300.

Premium Member
Thanks.
I checked the clutch adjustment, and there was almost no adjustment to it. It still slips (slightly- it holds good when under moderate acceleration, but if you get on it hard, you can tell it is slipping), and I'm assuming that it is excessive wear on the centrifugal clutch. It only slips when under hard acceleration, with the RPMs in the lower range. I understand that the clutch is fully locked at 2800 and above, so I think that in the past, either Helen, or others, have been pulling hard while the RPM's were low, allowing the centrifugal clutch to wear prematurely. I doubt that she wants to spend the money to put new clutches in it, so I'll tell her that they need to change how they are using it, to slow down the wear on the clutch.
One thing that I do not like- there is no articulation in the suspension. I still find the machine fascinating, and I'd love to have one. But, I do appreciate the creature comforts of my 300.
even if you could ( helen allows ) ?, more than likely the centrifugal clutch arms are discontinued today ?, sooooo..either used ?, or, check to see what other atv uses those same clutch arms ?. I think ? ( old age ya know !..lol ), the trx300's use the same clutch arms, as well as the whole clutch ?. cross reference them :). in case I missed it ?, did you try adjusting the clutch at all ?.

Premium Member
also, the clutches slip no matter what rpm your in ?, you just don't notice it until you hammer down on the atv !..lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
even if you could ( helen allows ) ?, more than likely the centrifugal clutch arms are discontinued today ?, sooooo..either used ?, or, check to see what other atv uses those same clutch arms ?. I think ? ( old age ya know !..lol ), the trx300's use the same clutch arms, as well as the whole clutch ?. cross reference them :). in case I missed it ?, did you try adjusting the clutch at all ?.
There was almost no adjustment to it, but I did adjust what was there. It felt a little better, but I could still tell that there was slippage. It isn't normal. I doubt that she will want to put the money into it, so I'll instruct her how to preserve what's there. It isn't used hard, now, but she has grandkids who ride it.

I appreciate your input, shadetree. Your wealth of experience is invaluable, and what makes a forum such a great tool.

Premium Member
There was almost no adjustment to it, but I did adjust what was there. It felt a little better, but I could still tell that there was slippage. It isn't normal. I doubt that she will want to put the money into it, so I'll instruct her how to preserve what's there. It isn't used hard, now, but she has grandkids who ride it.

I appreciate your input, shadetree. Your wealth of experience is invaluable, and what makes a forum such a great tool.
thank you for the kind words :). if you can get her to spend for a clutch cover gasket ? ( about 20 bucks ? ), I may have a used centrifugal clutch some where around here ??, i'll take a look when I get back out to my shop ?, you would need to pay for shipping, I won't charge you for the clutch, just paying it forward :).

Premium Member
also, if you have adjusted the clutch, and it won't go any more ?, this is your change clutch, not the centrifugal clutch.

Premium Member
me thinks it's your change clutch, friction disk are bad if adjusting it doesn't fix it. or, it could be both ?!..lol. i think i've got those as well ?.

Premium Member
Shady, probably be simpler to list what you DON'T have ! :laugh:

Reactions: hodge5

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
me thinks it's your change clutch, friction disk are bad if adjusting it doesn't fix it. or, it could be both ?!..lol. i think i've got those as well ?.
Thank you for the offers! She is gone for the week. When I return the atv to her, I'll bring it up. I expect that she won't want to do it, although I would if it's mine. I noticed the slipping right away, but I bet that she hasn't, and won't. Given how she uses it, I suspect that she'll leave it as it is. I'll contact you about the parts, if she wants to proceed.

I did find out that a bed ridden friend of my dad's has a 350D, and supposedly it still runs. He is not known for taking excellent care of his stuff, but dad said that if he remembers correctly, it isn't in bad shape. It is stored at a hunting camp, and Jim is no longer able to get out there, or use it. I may see if he'll give me a heads up if he choses to part with it. Either to use, or for the parts.

Premium Member
Shady, probably be simpler to list what you DON'T have ! :laugh:
lol, well, it's nice to have a guy who has a salvage yard for parts, if I don't have it here ?..lmfao. and the best thing about him having a salvage yard ?, is it don't cost me anything for parts, not cash any way ?, I just barter my skills for what ever I need ?..we've been doing it this way for 20 years..lol.

Premium Member
Thank you for the offers! She is gone for the week. When I return the atv to her, I'll bring it up. I expect that she won't want to do it, although I would if it's mine. I noticed the slipping right away, but I bet that she hasn't, and won't. Given how she uses it, I suspect that she'll leave it as it is. I'll contact you about the parts, if she wants to proceed.

I did find out that a bed ridden friend of my dad's has a 350D, and supposedly it still runs. He is not known for taking excellent care of his stuff, but dad said that if he remembers correctly, it isn't in bad shape. It is stored at a hunting camp, and Jim is no longer able to get out there, or use it. I may see if he'll give me a heads up if he choses to part with it. Either to use, or for the parts.
oh yeah, slipped my mind that it is her's , not yours !..lol. I was thinking you had it under your wings already ?!..lol. forgot about her owning it, I need a vacation from my vacation !..lol.

Reactions: Goober and hodge5

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I got the fan control module yesterday, and installed it. It was easy to access from the side, without removing the rack and plastic. I took the left wheel off, and the inner liner.
Once installed, the oil light comes on temporarily when turning the key, then goes off. I ran it for a while, and the fan stayed off.

I've enjoyed going over the ATV, both learning more about the 350D and getting Helen's ATV in better shape. I really like the 350D, and I'd love to have one. But, I wouldn't replace my 300 with one, for a couple of reasons. I say this contemplatively, not to bash the 350.
1) My 300 rides and steers better. It is also a little wider, feeling more stable. That is easy to overcome with body movement, but the three things do make the 300 feel more controllable and solidly planted. I do like driving the 350, but it is a little more squirrelly.
2) The 350D has no axle articulation. While my 300 can get a tire off of the ground, the amount of articulation in the front independent suspension reduces that by about half. I tried it out- I ran one front tire up on a berm with the 350, getting a rear tire about 2 feet off of the ground. Did the same thing, in the same spot, with my 300- the rear tire was less than a foot off. The majority of the time, that amount of articulation makes a difference. That also helps in giving a smoother ride.
3) While the 350 has more power, my 300 feels quicker. I attribute that to the smoother suspension.

None of these things, in my own opinion, makes the 300 superior- again, I respect the 350 highly, and I have a lot of affection for them. I remember, as a kid, going to Freed's Appliance in Waynesboro, VA- they were also a Honda dealer. I remember when the Big Red first hit the showroom, as well as the 350 4x4. Some of the most indelible memories that I have, and I've always been in love with them.

Premium Member
I got the fan control module yesterday, and installed it. It was easy to access from the side, without removing the rack and plastic. I took the left wheel off, and the inner liner.
Once installed, the oil light comes on temporarily when turning the key, then goes off. I ran it for a while, and the fan stayed off.

I've enjoyed going over the ATV, both learning more about the 350D and getting Helen's ATV in better shape. I really like the 350D, and I'd love to have one. But, I wouldn't replace my 300 with one, for a couple of reasons. I say this contemplatively, not to bash the 350.
1) My 300 rides and steers better. It is also a little wider, feeling more stable. That is easy to overcome with body movement, but the three things do make the 300 feel more controllable and solidly planted. I do like driving the 350, but it is a little more squirrelly.
2) The 350D has no axle articulation. While my 300 can get a tire off of the ground, the amount of articulation in the front independent suspension reduces that by about half. I tried it out- I ran one front tire up on a berm with the 350, getting a rear tire about 2 feet off of the ground. Did the same thing, in the same spot, with my 300- the rear tire was less than a foot off. The majority of the time, that amount of articulation makes a difference. That also helps in giving a smoother ride.
3) While the 350 has more power, my 300 feels quicker. I attribute that to the smoother suspension.

None of these things, in my own opinion, makes the 300 superior- again, I respect the 350 highly, and I have a lot of affection for them. I remember, as a kid, going to Freed's Appliance in Waynesboro, VA- they were also a Honda dealer. I remember when the Big Red first hit the showroom, as well as the 350 4x4. Some of the most indelible memories that I have, and I've always been in love with them.
the trx350's don't steer well ( this is why it takes more room to turn around ), they ride like a tank, work like a tank, and will deff get the job done !, this is why we call them, or shall I say me ?, TANKS !!..LOL. I don't worry about a soft ride, easy steering, all that crap ?, as long as it gets me from point A, to point B ?, i'm good !. my ole '89 has been there and back for me, and I love her to death !, when I need her to pull something ?, or start up after sitting for a couple weeks ?, or longer ?!, she has never let me down !. I honor her with a ton of respect, that's for sure !.

Reactions: Goober and hodge5

Premium Member
Glad to hear you got the rig back in shape for your acquaintance and got riding time on the 350. Yep the 350 is at least 600lb while the 300 is ~500lb plus indep front suspension = nimbler and quicker

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear you got the rig back in shape for your acquaintance and got riding time on the 350. Yep the 350 is at least 600lb while the 300 is ~500lb plus indep front suspension = nimbler and quicker
They both have their virtues.
That's not saying that I would pass up a 350- I'd love to have one. But, I won't get rid of my 300.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts