Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really guys..

I need to fit 1/2" spacers on the rear but this will expose my rear drum and back plate further. I have looked online but can't find any kind of guard or shield to protect it. Are these available in the US or Canada, has anybody made there own? Making one isn't an issue but I'm more interested in how it's mounted to the axle casing/tube.

As you can see from the picture mine is already a little exposed as I'm running the 300 rims which allow a little more offset than the 350 rims.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I think the swamp riders do a brake delete Sam, in other words, get rid of the brake completely. Could make for an interesting ride sometimes though. lol

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the swamp riders do a brake delete Sam, in other words, get rid of the brake completely. Could make for an interesting ride sometimes though. lol
Haha.. It could end in disaster for me as I have no front brakes :laugh:
Waiting for my end of season bonus to buy a front disc conversion. I may just leave the rear as is for now until I get front discs and then, as you say just remove the rear brake completely.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you convert the rear to disc?
I'm sure there is some way of doing it by using a Rancher front disc and calliper, I've not actually had the drum off my rear end yet so I don't know what lies beneath the drum and backplate.
May be a worthwhile mod though if it's possible to do.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Bet you could you know, and mount calliper high up out of the way. Steel disc may still catch but at least it's a robust lump of steel.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
there is no oem rear brake cover that protects the rear backing plate. the oem rim sits very close to the backing plate , maybe a 1/4 gap between them ?. only ones that I know that have a guard/plate/cover ?, are the trx250 utility's from back then.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bet you could you know, and mount calliper high up out of the way. Steel disc may still catch but at least it's a robust lump of steel.
I know yes.. It can definitely be done, there's no doubt about that it's just wether or not it's actually worth the hassle.
I'll get mine apart at some point and see what's beneath the drum and backing plate etc

Shady.. Youve got me curious now, I'm tempted to go down the shed and see if the 250 has a guard lol. The donor 250 didn't but that was a bit of a tatty thing I must admit. I suppose these are the kind of thing that get taken off over the years and forgotten about though.
Your right about the wheels though, the 350 rim does protect the backing plate and drum, I chose to run the 300 rims for that little extra offset though.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I know yes.. It can definitely be done, there's no doubt about that it's just wether or not it's actually worth the hassle.
I'll get mine apart at some point and see what's beneath the drum and backing plate etc

Shady.. Youve got me curious now, I'm tempted to go down the shed and see if the 250 has a guard lol. The donor 250 didn't but that was a bit of a tatty thing I must admit. I suppose these are the kind of thing that get taken off over the years and forgotten about though.
Your right about the wheels though, the 350 rim does protect the backing plate and drum, I chose to run the 300 rims for that little extra offset though.
I know the trx350's very well..lol. and the trx250's, they have a mesh looking metal moon shape guard that bolts to the backing plate and brake drum cover, pain in the butt when servicing those rear brakes, prob why owners leave them off ?..lol.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I know the trx350's very well..lol. and the trx250's, they have a mesh looking metal moon shape guard that bolts to the backing plate and brake drum cover, pain in the butt when servicing those rear brakes, prob why owners leave them off ?..lol.
I noticed that lol. Yeh must have been removed on the 250 then, there's nothing there now, as you say, it's a pain in the butt so would have been left off.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do later model Hondas wheels have more offset? That way you don't have to use spacers
I have absolutely no idea, I'm being fussy really, the rear is 1" overall narrower than the front, you probably wouldn't be able to tell but because I know I see it, it just bugs me.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I have an 87 350 and 94 300 in the shop. Guys swapped rear tires from both cuz of a flat I noticed right away there was at least 2inches difference in front and rear track widths. The 300 sports 10 inch rears but that was barely noticeable compared to the naked brake drum on the 350

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
300's have a little guard underneath, anyway of using one of those ? Got a few up here.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
300's have a little guard underneath, anyway of using one of those ? Got a few up here.
not really sure without seeing one. Id considered getting an old Mini wheel and using a section out of that to save rolling a piece of steel.
Not sure wether to go for a rear disc mod or persevere with a guard at the minute.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an 87 350 and 94 300 in the shop. Guys swapped rear tires from both cuz of a flat I noticed right away there was at least 2inches difference in front and rear track widths. The 300 sports 10 inch rears but that was barely noticeable compared to the naked brake drum on the 350
I run standard 300 rims all round with 2" spacers up front, the 1/2" is just to equal things up front to rear. I think it is around 2" difference between 350 and 300 rims though, I did measure at one point but cant remember now off hand.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
I'm going to be swapping a 350D rear end into a buddy's 300 in the near future. He's running my stock 12" steel wheels off of my 09 Foreman (I put Aluminum Rubicon wheels on mine).

How does the offset on the 350D wheels compare with Foreman wheels (which I think are 5x2)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.