Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt the top end as in my last post. Checked the timing it had not jumped time , and just put a head because i thought it could have bent valves. And still nothing. It acts like it wants to rub on choke but when you let off the start button it just dies. Any suggestions really needing some before i just sell it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What did you do to rebuild the top end?? Have the cylinder measured, bored or just honed?? New piston or just rings?? Good compression??

Reason I'm asking, it sounds like a carb or timing problem.. if that's not it.. my next guess would be low compression or bend valve..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A whole new top end cylinder piston just rodered one off line. It was smoking bad so we thought that it could be it loss compression is why it wouldnt start back. Rebuilt the top end same thing just wouldnt run. Went and got a head because we thought bent valves and nothing. We also checked the timing and it hadnt junped time. So we are just confused to why it wont run.
Before it wouldnt run. I could hold it steady throttle and it would cut out on me and on rev limiter it just didnt sound the same like the power to reach rev limiter wasnt there.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have you checked the valves in the new head and made sure they weren't bent?? Sounds like a bent valve or timing is off..

Valves adjusted properly??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And another thing under the carb there is 2 wires does it matter if they are plugged in or not because i pulled them out to pull the carb off when I did i could get the wires to go back on corectly

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
And another thing under the carb there is 2 wires does it matter if they are plugged in or not because i pulled them out to pull the carb off when I did i could get the wires to go back on corectly

Wires?? Going to the carb?? Bowl heater maybe?? Shouldn't matter if that what they are...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Idk what they are. There is a plug like thing that it plugs into on the frame . Thats the only thin i could think of with splitting the cases and just start going over everything

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Oh. Then i do not know what else it could be. The reason we thought bent valve or timing is because gas was shooting out the carb and i had just cleaned the carb 2 times before putting it back in and then the same thing happened

Gas shooting out if carb?? Timing has to be off...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure you already checked, but I noticed you never mentioned it, but do you have spark? And I recently rebuilt the top end on my rancher 350, and It wouldn't start at first, and It was simply that I hadn't torqued It properly. also it took me 4 tries to get the timing right, so don't rule that out just yet.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Pull the plug and check for spark.

If you have spark, and it's getting fuel, the timing has to be off.

Any chance the woodruff key on the flywheel might have sheared?

Pull the plug and ground it on the head and check for spark.

If you have spark, shoot some starter fluid up in the intake and see what happens.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Okay i finallyy got it running by putting a diffrent cylinder head on it.i got it back together today and it runs like complete shit. It ticks like crazy but i can just adjust the valves. I rode the 4 wheeler today for less than 20mins and it done the same thing. Like one of the valve seats have messed up agian today. Idk what is causing this but iv already put $700 just into parts and laborthis week.
I have no idea what is making it do this its never done this until now.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
lets do this, pull the rocker box off so you can see the rockers. now remove the pull starter cover so you can get at the starter cage. behind the starter cage, near the top of the cover case, is an arrow/index mark. remove the spark plug, remove the sight hole cap from the right back side so you can see the timing mark on the flywheel. with a 17mm socket, line up the timing mark on the flywheel in the sight hole, piston should be on top dead center, turn the crank with the 17mm socket counter clockwise, watch the intake valve, does it start to move any at all when you do this ?, if not ?, turn the crank clockwise one full turn to line the timing mark up in the sight hole, also look to see where the line/punch mark is on the starter cage ?, it should be facing the arrow/index mark stamped right at/behind the starter cage on the cover @ about 11:00 o'clock if I remember right ?. you have two timing marks your lining up, one is the sight hole on the flywheel, the other is the starter cage that has that line stamped on the cage, and it lines up with the arrow stamped on the cover right where I said, about 11:00 o'clock ?. these all line up. the trick here is getting them to line up, intake rocker moving when you turn it like I said above ^^^. if the intake rocker moves when doing this ?, put it back where you started, then check your valve adjustments. once all is set ?, your valves are done. if you still have this noise ?, then either your cam chain is stretched ?, or you have other issues going on. was the cylinder checked for piston to cylinder clearance ?, was the rod checked for any play at the top and bottom ?, wrist pin checked for play ?. my money says if all these are good ?, then your cam chain is the problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry haven't posted in a while, all runs good except for topend ticking which is just valves I know and that after the topend rebuilt the 4wheeler and now it smokes until it gets warmed but but it doesn't smell like oil, it smells like when you put a motor into a vehicle kinda like a new start smell, and it smokes a little when you go just below revlimiter. just wondering I have a friend who is redoing a top end on a 500 foreman but im wondering how many times can a topend be done on that 4wheeler until the bottom is just says no more?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.