Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2k 350 es which has been giving me a serious headache. It starts fine and goes up and down the gears at still or when driving... then all of a sudden I could be in 3rd and go to change up or down and nothing, it doesn't even try to change...
The only thing I am able to do is stop and turn off then on again and it goes fine for another while...
This has been happening for a few months but a couple of weeks ago it locked in gear and wouldn't budge.. turned out one of the magnets in the shift motor had come off.. So while waiting for a new motor to arrive I went through the es setup checking everything as per the manual... all seemed good, all meter readings were about perfect...
Got the new shift motor fitted, cruised off to gather some sheep and the original problem is still there...
I really want to get it sorted now but not sure where to start after being threw the manual already...
In my amateur opinion I am thinking the angle sensor but when I tested it, it seemed fine... can anyone offer any advice...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

· Registered
17 Posts
I ran into this on my Foreman 450es. It would go fine but it seemed as if once I got to a certain rpm it would not let me shift. Whatever gear I was in would just blink constantly until I cut it off, shifted to neutral and restarted. I relplaced the angle sensor, di-electric greased the plug, and bam. Works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have never looked at the dash cluster, it's always seemed ok. Is there a way to test it?
And when the issue occurs, the dash never show any blinking to indicate an error, it. Just sits there and pretends like the up/down buttons aren't connected...

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I am not familiar with the dash cluster diagnosis--can you explain?
On my 2k 350 the techs said they had to regrease the shift motor, replace the angle sensor and ECU. Also needed a clutch adjustment. 7300 miles on this rig pushing manure
I had started by replacing the a weak battery and I could not get it to shift with the manual shift bar.
Other members here have actually performed the diagnosis on these bits; hopefully someone can speak up on details. Do you have a service manual?

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobi...TKSTsdx3KNWmZFZnZiMTc2d3c?sort=13&direction=a

· Registered
72 Posts
It's the dash cluster, have you ever replaced it before?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
Negative. On the 350 Ranchers the display is ONLY a display. Machine will run and work fine without it.
I've had three ranchers in the last two years and I'm not arguing with you but every one of em runs off the display, cause out of those three, two of em had display issues and would not shift down until you turned it off and restarted it, I replaced the display and they worked fine, granted they are expensive but it's just about the only way to fix it unless your good with electronics

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, have the manual... funnily enough as of this morning the speedo isn't working... just reading zero. Issue hasn't changed, still happens almost every ride... will have to investigate the speed issue if you think it may be connected...

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
It's the dash cluster, have you ever replaced it before?

Negative. On the 350 Ranchers the display is ONLY a display. Machine will run and work fine without it.
I've had three ranchers in the last two years and I'm not arguing with you but every one of em runs off the display, cause out of those three, two of em had display issues and would not shift down until you turned it off and restarted it, I replaced the display and they worked fine, granted they are expensive but it's just about the only way to fix it unless your good with electronics

Well....you might be on to something there. I don't mess with ES crap. The only ES's I've messed with I converted to footshifts.

The 350ES I rebuilt for my neighbor had a drain the meter so I just unplugged it. Machine still runs fine, but I converted it to a footshift because...well because the ES system is crap.

Toodeep over on Hondaforeman runs a shop at a dealership, and he said the displays on the 350ES's are only displays...

350ES meter draining battery - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Yeah, have the manual... funnily enough as of this morning the speedo isn't working... just reading zero. Issue hasn't changed, still happens almost every ride... will have to investigate the speed issue if you think it may be connected...

Check your speed sensor. Right next to the swingarm boot. Make sure it's plugged in.

· Registered
2,918 Posts
Hi: The bike will run without the display -- like other have said. Everything goes to ECM -- the display is just in parallel with the ECM.

Reactions: retro

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.. I removed the speed sensor, cleaned and reinstalled it and cleaned the connector at other end. Couldn't test it as per manual as it mentions an adaptor which I don't have. Is there a workaround for that? After cleaning and shoving back in... it works... tokk the bike for a good run and it didn't stick in gear once....
Not 100% that the problem could be gone but will live in hope and keep a close eye for the next couple of days...
Will keep ya's posted...
Thanks all..

· Registered
72 Posts
Hi: The bike will run without the display -- like other have said. Everything goes to ECM -- the display is just in parallel with the ECM.
I'm not trying to argue with anybody, and didn't say it wouldn't, this whole thread is about shifting with electric shift, not foot shift and it's not about displays I said the electric shift will not work without the display, sorry for the confusion but I am experienced with these ranchers

· Registered
2,918 Posts
I'm not trying to argue with anybody, and didn't say it wouldn't, this whole thread is about shifting with electric shift, not foot shift and it's not about displays I said the electric shift will not work without the display, sorry for the confusion but I am experienced with these ranchers

Hi: I was referring to a ES Bike --- yes if you have a bad Display (CPU) it can cause a problem with the ECM --- But the bike will run and shift without the display.

Reactions: retro
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.