Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt my rear diff this weekend with new bearings and seals, I have some play in the pinion to ring interface. I have no shims, none were in the diff when I tore it down. I can buy shims from Honda with no problem, they are roughly $8 each and come in many different sizes. The ideal method would be to purchase said shims and use trial and error to determine the correct spacing to achieve the proper backlash. But that would mean buying $60-$100 in shims.

My question is what is the best method to determine shim thickness needed without trial and error, or is there an acceptable alternative to the Honda OEM shims which would be cheaper to source so i could use the Trial and Error Method?

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I wish I were more help, but luckily over the years I have a plethora of shims to try and get the lash set right.

in your case, if you have a local machine shop around, I would contact them and see if they could have a look.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.