Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son traded a great running 88 trx300 and some cash for a 91 300fw that appeared to be in great shape. Plastics are great, overall condition was surprisingly good. Unfortunately i wasnt there, and the first time I heard it run I noticed a knock in the right bottom. Not extreme, but it was there. Son didnt ride it much at all, but in that time it fouled out a plug in short order.
Not knowing what oil was in it, I had my son drain the oil and great news, there's metal in it. See attached pic. I've already pulled the motor and removed top end, so far it doesnt look bad, other than a lot of carbon on piston top and inside head. Rings are intact. Havent measured piston and cyl yet, but at least theres no scoring there. I know its a long shot, but any ideas on what the metal bit could be?
Unfortunately going back on trade is a no-go. Just trying to get an idea of what I have in store.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
looks like part of the wrist pin cir-clip to me ?.

Reactions: cmanningjr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wrist pin clip was my first thought, but both are there. Had a 250x many years ago on which I didnt get one seated..caused much havoc.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
What colour was the plug when it fouled? I'd be tempted to flush out the engine, fill with new oil and overhaul the carb. I'd also do a compression test as a matter of cause.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't have a service manual for that motor so I'm just guessing.... isn't there a similar looking clip retainer on the end of the change clutch hub that holds the release (Needle bearing?) bearing in place? Are those knocking sounds coming from the right side cover area?

Edit:
Nevermind, I just looked it up and see no clip on the change clutch... and there is a ball bearing in there, not a needle bearing.... sorry bout that!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
wrist pin clip was my first thought, but both are there. Had a 250x many years ago on which I didnt get one seated..caused much havoc.
doesn't mean it was left in there before you got your hands on it ??!..lol. has it ever been worked on before you tore into it ?. who's to say someone else rebuilt it, and it busted off, and they never cleaned the motor out ?.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
if it's roundish ?, my money says it's a wrist pin cir-clip !.

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
its hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks to me like a piece of the drain plug threads, I have seen many times on engines when overtightened they can pull apart looking just like this.

just a thought.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It doesn't have to be from the engine; it could have come out of the transmission. They share oil.
The knock could be a separate issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I'm with Hodge on this one. That peice of debris could be years old. My opinion.. flush, fresh oil, new plug, compression test. If you have no joy after that then I'd start with checking the slack in the timing chain before I dug into the top end.

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
it does look like a wrist pin , maybe from a previous time like Shade says , another spring I can think of is on the clutch lifter / bearing carrier but I think from the pic it is made of a smaller diameter material , maybe a piece of the reverse lever spring -------- did you take off the right side cover and look at the block screen

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I'm going with the wrist pin circlip too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
say's the blue glove man ^^^ !..lmfao...good to cya back bro !. or was I just gone too long , and missed ya around ?..lmao.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

say's the blue glove man ^^^ !..lmfao...good to cya back bro !. or was I just gone too long , and missed ya around ?..lmao.

I think we missed each other in passing.. lol. Been busy, like we always say.. life happens!!

Glad you got caught up enough to get back on here..

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

I think we missed each other in passing.. lol. Been busy, like we always say.. life happens!!

Glad you got caught up enough to get back on here..

yep, life happens..lol. good to get back on here more now. still not 100% done on my camper ?, but I see light at the end of the tunnel !.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts