Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some help. i had it running today just fine then i put it in reverse once and it worked fine. put it in the second time and it died instanly? i took it out of revers and made sure nuetral light was on but it wont start up? i check for spark and nothing? what can i do to get iut going? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no everything is on like it should. all i know is i put it in reverse it died and now i have no spark?

·
Registered
209 Posts
not sure what it would be but i seen on here about bypassing the reverse ..im sure someone else will be along to tell you in more detail

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure what it would be but i seen on here about bypassing the reverse ..im sure someone else will be along to tell you in more detail
ya its got to be related to the reverse for sure. i would love to know how to bypass this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please help. i need to get my 300ex back home from the woods. id rather drive it out lol its way out there :confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Bypassing the rewind........ look under the foot brake you should see a small louvered cover under that cover is the neutral switch and the rewind switch. the rev switch will have a gray wire connected to it or it may be gray/black trace it over to the harness it should be on the left side upper frame rail. remove the seat and rear fenders so you can see it.Where that wire connects to the harness unplug it now get you a short jumper wire a couple of inches should do the trick. strip both ends stick one in the harness side wire you unplugged and the other end will go to the other gray or gray/black wire in the same harness. give that a shot keep us posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bypassing the rewind........ look under the foot brake you should see a small louvered cover under that cover is the neutral switch and the rewind switch. the rev switch will have a gray wire connected to it or it may be gray/black trace it over to the harness it should be on the left side upper frame rail. remove the seat and rear fenders so you can see it.Where that wire connects to the harness unplug it now get you a short jumper wire a couple of inches should do the trick. strip both ends stick one in the harness side wire you unplugged and the other end will go to the other gray or gray/black wire in the same harness. give that a shot keep us posted.
ok i see the gray wire. so you want me to unplug it then put a jumper wire between them?? that dont make no sense to me? why would i jump a wire that is already connected to itsself? or do i need to connect the wire coming from the reverse to something else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just went outside and i tapped on the coil once and tapped on the black box near the coil and tried it and it works now??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also when i tighten down the bolts on the cover by the starter. it wont let the starter engage? if i loosen the bolts on the cover then it will work fine but it leaks oil from being lose? is there a gasket thats supossed to go here?

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
ok i see the gray wire. so you want me to unplug it then put a jumper wire between them?? that dont make no sense to me? why would i jump a wire that is already connected to itsself? or do i need to connect the wire coming from the reverse to something else?
you didn't read clearly I said once you unplug the wire from the switch you replace it with the jumper and in the same harness you will see another gray or gray/black wire that leads to the CDI and one leads to the rewind light you jumper the harness side together omitting the wire leading to the switch. but never the less glad your tapping got it going. I would invest in some Die-electric grease and apply it to all of your connectors and make sure all of them are plugged in correctly

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you didn't read clearly I said once you unplug the wire from the switch you replace it with the jumper and in the same harness you will see another gray or gray/black wire that leads to the CDI and one leads to the rewind light you jumper the harness side together omitting the wire leading to the switch. but never the less glad your tapping got it going. I would invest in some Die-electric grease and apply it to all of your connectors and make sure all of them are plugged in correctly
it died again?? but ya im way lost with your directions?? got any pics? i see two wires under brake pedal one gray other is blue. they both go around to left side and plug into the wire harness. you want me to unplug the grey wire at the switch? are you talking bout the switch under brake pedal? and i still have no clue where this other gray/black wire is? wheres the cdi? do i need to cut a wire off the cdi?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i just went out again didnt do anything and it started right up? do u think it could be the coil going bad? seems to do it when it warms up? also fixed the starter problem i made a gasket from some cardboard with metal in it that i got from napa. and it seem to do the trick. now i just need to figure out why i keep losing spark?

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Have you got a multi meter? and do you know how to use one? not trying to belittle you I just want to be able to help you more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you got a multi meter? and do you know how to use one? not trying to belittle you I just want to be able to help you more.
yes i have one. and yes i know how to use it. no offense taken.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what should i do?

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
PM Helmut he has a link to the repair manual I have it on my laptop but it has taken a crap for some reason?? I can't get it to connect my son and his buddy were the last to use it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the diagram. ok so i see the gray wire that comes up to the left side of bike. do u want me to unplug it there? and which wire am i putting it with?

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Where the wire that comes from the switch unplg it at the round connector not at the switch..... where it plugs to should "T" off the the CDI and reverse inhibitor unit you should be able to install a jumper at that connection point that should bypass the Reverse switch and allow you to start. if the CDI and Inhibitor wires are connected together then I can only assume that the reverse switch is a normaly closed switch and when power is sent to the switch it opens allowing th quad to fall into a no start mode for safety. you may can jump off of the connector to ground but I can't be 100% on that you run a risk of frying the CDI or reverse inhibitor. However if there are two connector leads one coming from the CDI and one from the Reverse inhibotor you should be able to jumper those tqo together and loop the reverse system.

Just a thought you may have a bad clutch switch or reverse inhibitor box as well. the starter circuit is directed through the inhibitor box as well as the clutch switch. just a thought??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts