Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 300ex (1997) that is running poorly and the reverse light is lighting up brighter and brighter as I rev the engine. In neutral reving to where the limiter kicks in the reverse light is full on red like the machine is in reverse. Im assuming the reverse limiter is kicking in and making my machine sputter badly in all forward gears, but I need to know how to by-pass it to test that theory. I also have several other 300ex's that I can swap parts off of if I knew where that reverse rev limiter even was... Thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When my battery was dead the headlight and neutral/reverse light would light up the more the engine was revved. Like in neutral the engine would sputter and so would the lights. Check your battery.

·
Registered
426 Posts
on the side by the choke you could have accidently put the reverse limiter in the forward and so on so put it in reverse and see if the limiter is there. i wouldnt suggest trying to go full speed in reverse

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got it figured out. The poor performance was from a deteriorating reverse sensor switch (the one down by the rear brake pedal). I grounded the wire going to it and VIOLA! it ran wonderfully. Now I lose the reverse light (no biggie) and gain the ability to start my 300ex while its in reverse.

The reverse light problem (lighting as rpms increase) is due to a faulty reverse limiter module. I swaped this with one of my other 300's and the problem followed the module. So no more real issues here.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I got it figured out. The poor performance was from a deteriorating reverse sensor switch (the one down by the rear brake pedal). I grounded the wire going to it and VIOLA! it ran wonderfully. Now I lose the reverse light (no biggie) and gain the ability to start my 300ex while its in reverse.

The reverse light problem (lighting as rpms increase) is due to a faulty reverse limiter module. I swaped this with one of my other 300's and the problem followed the module. So no more real issues here.

Thanks
Did you ground you reverse switch wire to the frame? Did it have 12v running thru it when you grounded it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts