Honda ATV Forum banner

300ex questions

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
we just purchased a used 300ex. don't judge us on being too stupid for asking basic questions but-----
when we got it, it kick started right up but it was already hot
next day can't get it to start now
1. is there a choke?
2. the blue knob on the left - does that turn the gas on and off?
if so, which way is on?
3. where does the oil go and what type?
okay, stop laughing
the quad was bought for me (21 yr female) and my younger 16yr old brother. obviously beginners.
please help! thanks,

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums. When you say, "it kick started right up", do you mean you started it by using a kicker? Because I wasn't aware that the 300EX had a kicker, I thought they just had the push button start. I guess you meant that it just started up. If you did start it with a kicker, then disregard all the answers below, because you must have a Fourtrax 300 instead of the 300EX. If you do have the Fourtrax 300, let us know and we will help you with that.

And now to answer your questions.

1. Yes, it has a choke. It's down on the left side of the carb and it's kind of hard to get to.

2. I don't remember what color it is, but there should be a knob on the left side of the gas tank, at the bottom, to turn the fuel on. I can't remember which way is "on". Someone else that owns one should be able to answer that.

3. If I remember right, I think the oil fill hole is on the right side of the engine. Unscrew it and if it has a dipstick on the lid, then that's where you check the oil level and also where you add the oil. Honda GN4 oil is recommended, but whatever kind you use, make sure it's designed for wet clutch systems or your clutch will start slipping. I would use Honda GN4 10W-40.

#4 ·
Here is a picture that shows the choke. The arrow is pointing at the throttle stop control knob, but you can see the choke lever just behind it.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Welcome to the forums.I just realized something she kick started a 300ex no.They don't have kick.She kick started a 1991 or 1992 250x.She said it had a blue fuel knob and the 250x is the only sport quad close to the 300ex.

#9 ·
Yeah, I mentioned that in my first post, above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.