Honda ATV Forum banner

300ex only half rev..???

17K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  JERSYBOY73 
#1 ·
i have a 1998 honda 300ex and just put in new rings. has a big bore kit in it. timing is right on and no odd noise when idle. fires right up and sounds great again but for some reason it will only rev half throttle and then revs out. all power is gone at that point. need some help i have tried going one tooth back on the timing and goin on tooth ahead and does not change,.any if would be great.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. Did it just start this after installing the new rings and was it already running right with the big bore kit before?

#3 ·
Agree^^^^^ also the valve adjustment may be off maybe too tight? check your choke lever too

#8 ·
X3 on cleaning the carb. Carb cleaning is a good first step.

#9 ·
the carb was not touched when the rings were put in only thing was i pulled the old piston rings off and put on new ones. sounds like the rev limiter is peging out when its only at half throttle. i will clean the carbs though. thank you everyone and any more info will help.

#10 ·
When you set the cam in how did you install it and what did you adjust the valves to?

#11 ·
the carb was not touched when the rings were put in only thing was i pulled the old piston rings off and put on new ones.
Did the ATV sit any length of time without it being started prior to you replacing the rings? If it did, there's a good chance the carb could need cleaning. If they sit long without starting, the gas will evaporate, leaving deposits behind that can stop up the carb.

#13 ·
is has a wisco piston kit in it when i bought it and my son went threw some water and burnt out the oil ring. the motor has been flushed when i put the new rings in. other than checking that everything else was at stock i dont understand what happend. would the silonoid couse this?

#15 ·
i was wondering if a week spark would have something to do with it i have checked 3 plugs (new) and all the same spark so i did a contitnuaty ( how ever that is spelled) test and it has a weak pass through of elect. in the starter solinode. ok and i have gone threw all the conections and all are tight and good.

#16 ·
All the starter solenoid does is to send power from the battery to the starter, when the start button is pushed. It doesn't have anything to do with the spark and after the engine starts, it does nothing.

If you have a weak spark, it could be the ignition coil or stator. Did you have a good, bright blue spark at the sparkplug or was it weak? If it's red or orange colored, it's too weak.

#19 ·
You may have a ring that is not spaced properly, when you installed the piston kit did you check the end gap on the rings before you put them onto the piston? Also when the cam was installed after the top end was rebuilt, the Lobes should have been facing downward and the 2 "-" marks allign with the top of the head. The valves are set at .004 int and exh. I'm not trying to belittle your mechanical abilities I'm just trying to get all the facts form the time you removed the old piston to the time you re installed everything.

#20 ·
I agree. I was going to ask the same question about the ring spacing.

#22 · (Edited)
Did you install the rings like in the diagram below?

#25 ·
The rev limiter is built into the CDI and there is no reset.

#27 · (Edited)
I guess it's possible, but all the ones that I've seen with a bad CDI, it wouldn't start at all.

#28 ·
ok now that I am more clear on your install.... Lets get to the carb
1. these carbs are extremely sensative to minute specs of trash, when your son I believe is what you stated flooded the engine with water unless he jumped into a pool the water was dirty
2. the first passage the water will take is through the filter then the carb sucking into the engine choking it off the second passage is through the exhaust when it dies.
3. remove the carb completely dissassemble it remove all the o-rings and hoses. Remove the pilot (air) screw spring and o-ring there then the jets.
4. Thouroughly spray the ever loving piss out of the carb and all it's orfices the take your blow gun and blow it out real good.
5 grab a tiny single strand of wire like speaker wire and clean the slowjet the orfices are to tiny for torch tip cleaners, ust those for the main jet.
6. re install everything in reverse order, turn the pilot screw in until it seats and back it out 2 1/2 turns. install it and start her up and see how it goes

#30 ·
Glad you figured out the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.