Honda ATV Forum banner

300ex oil pump?

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SlammedRanger 
#1 ·
Ok heres the deal i put a stage 2 webcam and hardened rockers in my 300ex and i went riding 2 day or at least tryed. Got aboult a mile away from where we parked the trucks and it started to lose power going down the road then i gave it more gas and it stalled. It starts right up idles fine but has a inconsistant knocking noise sound like down low in the motor. I pulled the valve cover and the cam took minimal damage and the exhaust side rocker took minimal damage to. It dosnt look like the oil is pumping into the top end. Is there any way to check this? I pulled the plug and left the cover off and had it turning over for a while and nothing came out of the oil line running to the top end. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
if you pull the oil line at the jug base where it leads to the head will it pump there? also you didn't by chance put the oil filter in backwards did you? and how much oil is showing on the dipstick?

#4 ·
Yeah, you should be able to just loosen that bolt that holds the line to the top of the head or valve cover and crank it over and oil should run out. If it don't, try what Moose said. And yeah, if you put the oil filter in backwards it will destroy an engine quick.

#5 ·
Has the exact amount of oil on the dip stick and the oil filter was on the right way. I took the line completely off and it dosnt pump oil anywhere. Just picked up a nice oil pump from a buddy and hopefully this works. Im guessing this is what caused my first cam and rockers to go bad. Thanks Guys

#6 ·
Yeah, that's probably what caused the original cam and rockers to go bad. When I do any type of work to one, including just changing the oil, I always loosen that top bolt and crank it over until I see oil running out. That way you know it's pumping oil to the top of the engine and it only takes a few seconds to check it.

#8 ·
Yeah but i got my fingers crossed its not to bad. I dont think its just the pump either it sounds like a rod bearing or something maybe a crank or piston damaged? Who knows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.