Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 300ex bored over 30. if i were looking to get more top end speed what size sprocket ?? n what size rear tires?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Go one tooth larger on the front sprocket or two smaller on the rear. You will lose acceleration / bottom end pull.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Taller tires will give you another 1-2mph. 22"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same to mine for a while now. You'll have to post some results if you get to go through with it.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
yeah..raise the front sprocket teeth..and lower the rear sprocket teeth..this alone will give you more top end speed..buttttttt..it will lower your take off a tad..not much..i did this on my '86 honda 250 rebel..cept..i just lower'd the rear sprocket for now...i can hit 75 easy now.

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
dont do 13 36 i did and my chain was tight as a banjo string 14 36 should work well as far as chain tension goes

I think you may be backwards on this one... If you increase the front sprocket size to 14 you will shorten the chain quite a bit. Stock is 13/38 if you raise the front to 14 and leave the rear stock (38) and add the 22" tires you will still retain a pretty decent take-off and gain a couple MPH on the top.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yes but a 14 does not fit comforably grinding the case saver away is needed im told. 13 36 i tried with the stock chain size way too loose. then i removed a link and it was way too tight even with the carrier adjusted slack

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I used to run a 14/38 with 22" razrs on my old 300 during the summer, and I just took the case saver off (not recommending this at all). I just checked my chain more often to make sure the chain wasn't too loose or tight. My buddy ran stock gearing with 20" tires on his 300, and I could just barely pull away from him.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do not go up on the front sprocket. It will become a bigger problem when the chain brakes an blows the side out of your engine.Just change the rear 2 or 3 teeth

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
I don't have a case saver but I check my chain before during and after riding. you can drop the rear sprocket to a 36 or 35 for more topend like 838XCracer said,

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
36 would do fine, but any of these tweeks to the gearing won't give you very much top end. Maybe a few mph's but nothing grand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts