Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am new hear and i need some help. I have a 1998 Honda 300ex i rejetted the carb it was flodding 122 main 35 pilot. The bike was running grate so i went to put it back together and i put the air tube on the carb and it boggs down and runs bad. I take it off and it runs grate y would it do that:confused::confused: i am stumped any help would be grate thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have read in a few places about people having problems the the plastic choke lever striping out. So the lever is in the off position but the choke as actually on. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
This may sound dumb, but check to see if the jets have fallen out have seen this before, they will be layin in the bowl

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How true it is!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok will look and see but this may sound dumb if the float needle was stickingthat would make gas come out the over flow tube would it not

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Hello i am new hear and i need some help. I have a 1998 Honda 300ex i rejetted the carb it was flodding 122 main 35 pilot. The bike was running grate so i went to put it back together and i put the air tube on the carb and it boggs down and runs bad. I take it off and it runs grate y would it do that:confused::confused: i am stumped any help would be grate thanks
sounds like your air/fuel mixture screw needs tweaking..it's not mixing air right when you re-jetted..because you say it starts to mess up when you put the air tube/box back on..sooo..tweak your air/fuel mixture screw..should fix it.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I have it 3 turns out is that to much or not enough thats whare i get lost
3 turns out is too much..lightly seat the needle/screw..come back out about 1 1/2 turns...to 2 turns..see how that does...i wouldn't go out any more than 2 1/2 for sure..but i think 1 1/2 to 2 turns ..it should run alot better...are you running a stock air filter also ?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
ya stock everything pipe 122 maine jet 35 pilot
ok..screw the air/fuel needle out 1 1/2 turns to 2 turns..see how that does..but 3 is too much.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Initial setting for the 300EX is 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Initial setting for the 300EX is 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated.
i didn't know the correct setting helmut for his..i was going by what i set honda 300's at when i do carb work..but..thanks for that info !

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
just another dumb Q..... did you clean the carb real good? You took out both jets and blew them out with air and carb cleaner and sprayed the jet orfices out too? you may have some trash in one of the circuits. if you start the engine let it get up to operating temp take a little screw driver the flex type works best, turn the idle up just a hair, now slowly turn the air screw in until it seats LIGHTLY. now back it out in 1/2 turn increments allow about 10 sec for the engine to level out inbetween turns. as you turn out the screw the engines RPMs will increase once you get to the point where the engine tone dosent change turn it back in 1/4 turn your air/fuel mix is set.

NOTE: if you turn the air screw in either direction and get no change in engine tone the orfice is stopped up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
thank you all i will try that tomarrow morning and i checked the choke and it is not striped and the carb is supper clean brand new jet and the carb was dipped and cleand with carb cleaner thanks though i will try the air/fule screw and let you know how that wroks out thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts