Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, y'all, new to the forums here. Got a good deal on a 300EX about a month ago. It's always smoked a little when I first cranked it up but it seems to be getting worse and last night I noticed exhaust coming out from the head gasket. So I'd say a top end rebuild is in order. I've had success with just replacing rings and honing but other times I've had to do the full top end: bore, oversize piston, hone, etc. So I'm on ebay this morning when I was supposed to be working and I see this:

Honda Sportrax TRX300EX 330cc Big Bore Cylinder Piston Gasket Kit 1993-2008 | eBay

Anybody know anything about this brand? a fresh bore and hone would cost $80 plus $90 for a piston kit, so if I can do all that and get 10% more displacement it seems like a no brainer. But if this brand is no good I'd be better off trying rings and a gasket kit first, and if that doesn't solve the problem, Wiseco piston and overbore.

What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
330 kit requires grinding cases out to fit the bigger sleeve!!!! May save some headache if you didnt already know that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that sounds like a pain in the butt, I'd have to take the motor out and have somebody do the work.
I'll probably just try rings and a gasket kit.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Pain in the butt is an understatement lol gotta split cases and have them done seperate from all internal parts. Cuz no matter how hard you try the metal shavings will be everywhere. And not to mention a 330ex will still get destroyed my a stock 400ex. The internal gearing makes the 300ex almost impossible to make fast. I sadly learned all this the hard way years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts