Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
I hope your running it with a battery installed ?!!, you must have a battery installed !!. or you run the risk of burning the stator out. not charging tells me your reg/rec is junk ( you mentioned this ). most of us dont hang here any more, we got our own site now.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
That’s a great price for a main
I just checked back in, but finally solved the mystery. I have the Honda running great with the new switch, just have to figure out what they did to screw up the charging. That was the only other wiring issue it had, so apparently the ignition switch is good to go. The magneto is working fine, but these jokers have screwed up the wiring at the voltage regulator. I bought a 2wd for the rear differential, so it was a huge help with the ignition wiring. This is a $400 4x4 ATV and a $300 2wd parts ATV. The wiring harness on the 2wd is different colors, but makes chasing the wiring much easier. I greatly appreciate your help and will hopefully have the charging issue fixed tomorrow. These morons are the type to cut out the plugs and twist wires together from end to end. I'm shocked every time I find a plug that's intact. Other than having to use the kick start and headlights dimming when engine is revved, it's running really good. Hopefully I'll get the charging fixed, as the motor and drivetrain seem really strong. Next project, welding broken rack mounts, reworking the front and rear brakes, and changing ALL of the various lubricants, as I found 90W gear oil in the transfer case . I'm sure I'll be needing you guys expertise again, before I'm comfortable with the "restoration"
  • Thanks again
keep in mind that not all TRX300 parts are interchangeable—use my service manual and parts links in my signature block below—cross ref numbers of your parts quad and builder.

pretty common for folks to hack up wire bundles—that’s what helps turn $2000 quads into $400 quads.

i had to acquire a used main harness, a gear change sub harness, gear indicator sub, ignition switch, battery sub, stator, reg/rec and had to repair the starter sw harness.
You can do this pretty easily—you’re gonna have to spend some dough to do this right and you sound like the person for the job. expect to make some mistakes along the way but also enjoy the hunt and knowledge gained from the experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, running it with new battery installed and understand wiring harness and parts differ on these models. I have managed to get it charging once, but that was before undoing their insane wiring job. It was pretty obvious when the headlights stayed steadily bright, regardless of how high it was revved up. It would also charge it enough to use the electric starter(really handy for someone with my disability). My son has to kick start it, till I resolve the charging issue. I'm amazed that anything works on this thing, as much as it's been abused, but both 300 engines run great. I'm sure I'll buy a better ATV for getting around the woods, but this is great for plowing through the thicket where I hunt. I'm hoping by tomorrow afternoon that the charging problem is solved. If you could see the ATV, you'd understand why I'm not buying an entire new wiring harness, voltage regulator, stator, magneto, CDI, etc. I'm going to get it in "better" shape and replace what can't be fixed. At nearly $100 per mud guard, I'll have to just live with the cracks and tears. I'll check everything you guys suggested. As for fuses, I've had to add inline fuse boxes, as the originals were cut out and wired around. As I said before "AMAZING" it's running at all. Being disabled, I'm both broke and like to tinker, when I'm physically capable. I'm looking at a 98 Honda fourtrax 300 4x4 that still looks and runs like new. The fact that I have 2 running 300 engines, the 98 may be a good investment. Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help!

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Yes, running it with new battery installed and understand wiring harness and parts differ on these models. I have managed to get it charging once, but that was before undoing their insane wiring job. It was pretty obvious when the headlights stayed steadily bright, regardless of how high it was revved up. It would also charge it enough to use the electric starter(really handy for someone with my disability). My son has to kick start it, till I resolve the charging issue. I'm amazed that anything works on this thing, as much as it's been abused, but both 300 engines run great. I'm sure I'll buy a better ATV for getting around the woods, but this is great for plowing through the thicket where I hunt. I'm hoping by tomorrow afternoon that the charging problem is solved. If you could see the ATV, you'd understand why I'm not buying an entire new wiring harness, voltage regulator, stator, magneto, CDI, etc. I'm going to get it in "better" shape and replace what can't be fixed. At nearly $100 per mud guard, I'll have to just live with the cracks and tears. I'll check everything you guys suggested. As for fuses, I've had to add inline fuse boxes, as the originals were cut out and wired around. As I said before "AMAZING" it's running at all. Being disabled, I'm both broke and like to tinker, when I'm physically capable. I'm looking at a 98 Honda fourtrax 300 4x4 that still looks and runs like new. The fact that I have 2 running 300 engines, the 98 may be a good investment. Any thoughts?
i'll sell you this 1988 trx300fw I restored !, it's good for another 30 years !.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
im in central ark !..lol. I have it listed on CL's for 3k, members get a discount , that would be $ 2,800.00 cash by the way !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
have a look in the build section, I have a thread on her, start to finish.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
if you talk nice ?, I may even bring my asking price down a little more...BUT NOT MUCH !, this atv is a classic, first year honda made the trx300fw, this atv has been gone through from end to end, top to bottom, inside out, needs nothing !!. unless you want new tires ?. lol. even has front high lifter disk brake conversion !.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
I also have it listed in the classified section here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like it's worth the money, but a little more than I can handle on my income. I honestly need a side by side, due to my health, but haven't found anything affordable. The 98 I mentioned is $700 cash or trade for anything. Facebook marketplace is loaded with Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4s, but nothing remotely close to as pretty as yours. I'm a former gunsmith who has built countless guns, but I'm not physically capable of doing the work anymore. If I were, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
700 cash deal tells me it needs lots of money sunk into it to get it better..lol. you can barely rebuild the motors on trx300's for 700 bucks alone !..lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you there. lol That's why neither of my 300s are for sale. I have a back-up engine, should anything go wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, I'm at a point where I could use some help. What do the green, pink, and brown wires go to on the back of this Honda and I'm curious if both the red and pink/ white wires are supposed to be hot, even with the ignition in the off position? These answers will be a tremendous help!

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Ok, I'm at a point where I could use some help. What do the green, pink, and brown wires go to on the back of this Honda and I'm curious if both the red and pink/ white wires are supposed to be hot, even with the ignition in the off position? These answers will be a tremendous help!
wires at back ( green and brown ) are for the tail light. pink/white stripe wire at front should only be hot when key is on. solid red on harness side is always hot, this comes from battery fuses.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Thanks, that's a huge help. What does the pink wire at the rear of the bike go to?
nothing, it should be wrapped up ?. from what I know of ?, its for any kind of accessory you may add ?. but other than this, its unused.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great. Getting closer to right all of the time. FYI, the $700 fourtrax 300 is now $500 and has new tires and an adjustable lift kit. I'm going to take a closer look and may own 2 running Honda 4x4s, not to mention a wiring harness that will help me put this one closer to correct, without paying $70+ on a new harness, when they've already cut out all of the factory plugs.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Great. Getting closer to right all of the time. FYI, the $700 fourtrax 300 is now $500 and has new tires and an adjustable lift kit. I'm going to take a closer look and may own 2 running Honda 4x4s, not to mention a wiring harness that will help me put this one closer to correct, without paying $70+ on a new harness, when they've already cut out all of the factory plugs.
yw, most of us old timers dont hang our hat here, we've moved to our own site :).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shoot me a link, I can always use the advice. I still give advice on gunsmithing, even though I'm not able to do the work anymore.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
chew
Shoot me a link, I can always use the advice. I still give advice on gunsmithing, even though I'm not able to do the work anymore.
check your conversation ( pm ).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts