Honda ATV Forum banner

300 ignition wiring

59K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  Dylandylan 
#1 ·
There are four wires that go to the key on my foutrax 300. How do I hook the wires up to a switch to keep from having to buy a new ignition? I don't have the key! I can twist the red with the two pinks and run it but I know that there is a switch I can install for cheaper than the ignition.

#2 ·
Is the forth wire a black? What are you using for a switch?

#4 ·
You can use a On/Off switch --- Put the red wire on one side of the switch and put the black and pink wire on the other side. Just tape up the pink/white wire.

#5 ·
the red and black are your main power..if your gonna just install a '' make do '' switch...lol..hook the black on one side of the switch..and the red on the other side. if i were you..i would install a oem switch..around 30 or 40 bucks from a dealer..if you ever get stopped by the police..game warden...and they don't see a switch..this throws a red flag up..sooo..word to the wise !.

Reactions: LedFTed
#7 ·
Like Shade said , the best thing would be the Honda OEM ignition switch which is $40 new ---------- PSN.com it would be maybe $15 for a OEM used switch plus shipping but before I would rig it with switches I would just buy a Caltric after market switch for $6.25 free shipping and see how long it last , cause it will just as good as a toggle switch and button from AutoZone that comes from the one of the same 3rd world countries and cost less

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-K...cQAAOxy-sRSVDT4:sc:USPSFirstClass!70114!US!-1

#8 ·
I'm having a similar issue with a 93 300 fourtrax 4x4 ignition, but I'm looking at a red, black, green, and 2 very faded wires that could possibly be pink. I tried changing the ignition switch, due to it being aftermarket and having issues, but now I'm not getting it to fire, nor spin over without jumping the starter at the solenoid. I followed the advice with the proper switch, but it's gone from running with crap to nothing with a new ignition. The green wire was incorporated into the switch they used, but I can't remember exactly how they had it rigged before. Trying to restore this old bike, but this is beyond my skill set. Any ideas?

#9 ·
one of those pink wires should have a white stripe on it. the other pink wire goes to the 12 volt dc outlet on the left hand side of bars.

#10 ·
The green wire was hooked up to the last "Jerry rigged" ignition, along with the red, black, and possibly a pink(lighter 2 are too faded to tell for certain). The ignition switch I purchased has a red, black, black with white stripe, and green. I'm lost when it comes to installing it, as the wires have been cut and stripped so many times, they're nearly flush with the handlebars. I tried numerous combinations, with absolutely no positive results. I can't even get it to fire using the kick start. I'm desperate, as I really do want to restore it completely.
Thanks

#12 ·
like goober said ^^^, pull the front fender, open the black plastic box , attach a new oem ignition switch back into the harness, problem solved. then look for blown fuses at the battery in case you hooked this '' jerry rig '' ignition switch up wrong, and blew fuses.

#11 ·
You’ll have to remove the front fender to find the connector (terminal end of the ignition harness) inside a plastic junction box at the base of the handlebar.
You will need an OEM ignition harness to make this work.
Use the service manuals and parts links in my signature block below

#13 ·
All of this sounds great, but the previous owners have made it so that I have nothing but stripped wires under the fender, in the colors I described. I can't find any information as far as "how tos" , when it comes to a couple of decades of abuse. I'm restoring a POJ, because it was still running strong, (at least BEFORE trying to install a new ignition switch, where many have tried before) after eliminating the headlights, I have a black, a red, a green, and 3 light colored faded(partially stripled) wires. This is at the CDI junction, so there is no "farther in".

#14 ·
if they hacked the wire harness up as bad as you say ^^^ ?, then just replace the whole wire harness, and fix it right.

#20 ·
I just checked back in, but finally solved the mystery. I have the Honda running great with the new switch, just have to figure out what they did to screw up the charging. That was the only other wiring issue it had, so apparently the ignition switch is good to go. The magneto is working fine, but these jokers have screwed up the wiring at the voltage regulator. I bought a 2wd for the rear differential, so it was a huge help with the ignition wiring. This is a $400 4x4 ATV and a $300 2wd parts ATV. The wiring harness on the 2wd is different colors, but makes chasing the wiring much easier. I greatly appreciate your help and will hopefully have the charging issue fixed tomorrow. These morons are the type to cut out the plugs and twist wires together from end to end. I'm shocked every time I find a plug that's intact. Other than having to use the kick start and headlights dimming when engine is revved, it's running really good. Hopefully I'll get the charging fixed, as the motor and drivetrain seem really strong. Next project, welding broken rack mounts, reworking the front and rear brakes, and changing ALL of the various lubricants, as I found 90W gear oil in the transfer case . I'm sure I'll be needing you guys expertise again, before I'm comfortable with the "restoration"
  • Thanks again

#22 ·
That’s a great price for a main

keep in mind that not all TRX300 parts are interchangeable—use my service manual and parts links in my signature block below—cross ref numbers of your parts quad and builder.

pretty common for folks to hack up wire bundles—that’s what helps turn $2000 quads into $400 quads.

i had to acquire a used main harness, a gear change sub harness, gear indicator sub, ignition switch, battery sub, stator, reg/rec and had to repair the starter sw harness.
You can do this pretty easily—you’re gonna have to spend some dough to do this right and you sound like the person for the job. expect to make some mistakes along the way but also enjoy the hunt and knowledge gained from the experience.

#21 ·
I hope your running it with a battery installed ?!!, you must have a battery installed !!. or you run the risk of burning the stator out. not charging tells me your reg/rec is junk ( you mentioned this ). most of us dont hang here any more, we got our own site now.

Reactions: Goober
#23 ·
Yes, running it with new battery installed and understand wiring harness and parts differ on these models. I have managed to get it charging once, but that was before undoing their insane wiring job. It was pretty obvious when the headlights stayed steadily bright, regardless of how high it was revved up. It would also charge it enough to use the electric starter(really handy for someone with my disability). My son has to kick start it, till I resolve the charging issue. I'm amazed that anything works on this thing, as much as it's been abused, but both 300 engines run great. I'm sure I'll buy a better ATV for getting around the woods, but this is great for plowing through the thicket where I hunt. I'm hoping by tomorrow afternoon that the charging problem is solved. If you could see the ATV, you'd understand why I'm not buying an entire new wiring harness, voltage regulator, stator, magneto, CDI, etc. I'm going to get it in "better" shape and replace what can't be fixed. At nearly $100 per mud guard, I'll have to just live with the cracks and tears. I'll check everything you guys suggested. As for fuses, I've had to add inline fuse boxes, as the originals were cut out and wired around. As I said before "AMAZING" it's running at all. Being disabled, I'm both broke and like to tinker, when I'm physically capable. I'm looking at a 98 Honda fourtrax 300 4x4 that still looks and runs like new. The fact that I have 2 running 300 engines, the 98 may be a good investment. Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help!

#26 ·
im in central ark !..lol. I have it listed on CL's for 3k, members get a discount , that would be $ 2,800.00 cash by the way !..lol.

#28 ·
if you talk nice ?, I may even bring my asking price down a little more...BUT NOT MUCH !, this atv is a classic, first year honda made the trx300fw, this atv has been gone through from end to end, top to bottom, inside out, needs nothing !!. unless you want new tires ?. lol. even has front high lifter disk brake conversion !.

Reactions: Goober
#30 ·
Looks like it's worth the money, but a little more than I can handle on my income. I honestly need a side by side, due to my health, but haven't found anything affordable. The 98 I mentioned is $700 cash or trade for anything. Facebook marketplace is loaded with Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4s, but nothing remotely close to as pretty as yours. I'm a former gunsmith who has built countless guns, but I'm not physically capable of doing the work anymore. If I were, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

#31 ·
700 cash deal tells me it needs lots of money sunk into it to get it better..lol. you can barely rebuild the motors on trx300's for 700 bucks alone !..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.