Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are four wires that go to the key on my foutrax 300. How do I hook the wires up to a switch to keep from having to buy a new ignition? I don't have the key! I can twist the red with the two pinks and run it but I know that there is a switch I can install for cheaper than the ignition.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Is the forth wire a black? What are you using for a switch?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The forth wire is black. I wasn't sure what to use for the switch. I was thinking that just an on/off switch would work.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You can use a On/Off switch --- Put the red wire on one side of the switch and put the black and pink wire on the other side. Just tape up the pink/white wire.

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
the red and black are your main power..if your gonna just install a '' make do '' switch...lol..hook the black on one side of the switch..and the red on the other side. if i were you..i would install a oem switch..around 30 or 40 bucks from a dealer..if you ever get stopped by the police..game warden...and they don't see a switch..this throws a red flag up..sooo..word to the wise !.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What could it be when my pink/white wire that goes to my ignition from the cilanoid keeps poping the fuze.. also the red wire keeps poping it’s fuse also. What may it be??

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Like Shade said , the best thing would be the Honda OEM ignition switch which is $40 new ---------- PSN.com it would be maybe $15 for a OEM used switch plus shipping but before I would rig it with switches I would just buy a Caltric after market switch for $6.25 free shipping and see how long it last , cause it will just as good as a toggle switch and button from AutoZone that comes from the one of the same 3rd world countries and cost less

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Key-Switch-FITS-HONDA-300-TRX300FW-FOURTRAX-1990-2000-ATV-NEW/271024646785?epid=2089952554&hash=item3f1a53ea81:g:PcQAAOxy-sRSVDT4:sc:USPSFirstClass!70114!US!-1

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with a 93 300 fourtrax 4x4 ignition, but I'm looking at a red, black, green, and 2 very faded wires that could possibly be pink. I tried changing the ignition switch, due to it being aftermarket and having issues, but now I'm not getting it to fire, nor spin over without jumping the starter at the solenoid. I followed the advice with the proper switch, but it's gone from running with crap to nothing with a new ignition. The green wire was incorporated into the switch they used, but I can't remember exactly how they had it rigged before. Trying to restore this old bike, but this is beyond my skill set. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with a 93 300 fourtrax 4x4 ignition, but I'm looking at a red, black, green, and 2 very faded wires that could possibly be pink. I tried changing the ignition switch, due to it being aftermarket and having issues, but now I'm not getting it to fire, nor spin over without jumping the starter at the solenoid. I followed the advice with the proper switch, but it's gone from running with crap to nothing with a new ignition. The green wire was incorporated into the switch they used, but I can't remember exactly how they had it rigged before. Trying to restore this old bike, but this is beyond my skill set. Any ideas?
one of those pink wires should have a white stripe on it. the other pink wire goes to the 12 volt dc outlet on the left hand side of bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The green wire was hooked up to the last "Jerry rigged" ignition, along with the red, black, and possibly a pink(lighter 2 are too faded to tell for certain). The ignition switch I purchased has a red, black, black with white stripe, and green. I'm lost when it comes to installing it, as the wires have been cut and stripped so many times, they're nearly flush with the handlebars. I tried numerous combinations, with absolutely no positive results. I can't even get it to fire using the kick start. I'm desperate, as I really do want to restore it completely.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
You’ll have to remove the front fender to find the connector (terminal end of the ignition harness) inside a plastic junction box at the base of the handlebar.
You will need an OEM ignition harness to make this work.
Use the service manuals and parts links in my signature block below

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
The green wire was hooked up to the last "Jerry rigged" ignition, along with the red, black, and possibly a pink(lighter 2 are too faded to tell for certain). The ignition switch I purchased has a red, black, black with white stripe, and green. I'm lost when it comes to installing it, as the wires have been cut and stripped so many times, they're nearly flush with the handlebars. I tried numerous combinations, with absolutely no positive results. I can't even get it to fire using the kick start. I'm desperate, as I really do want to restore it completely.
Thanks
like goober said ^^^, pull the front fender, open the black plastic box , attach a new oem ignition switch back into the harness, problem solved. then look for blown fuses at the battery in case you hooked this '' jerry rig '' ignition switch up wrong, and blew fuses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All of this sounds great, but the previous owners have made it so that I have nothing but stripped wires under the fender, in the colors I described. I can't find any information as far as "how tos" , when it comes to a couple of decades of abuse. I'm restoring a POJ, because it was still running strong, (at least BEFORE trying to install a new ignition switch, where many have tried before) after eliminating the headlights, I have a black, a red, a green, and 3 light colored faded(partially stripled) wires. This is at the CDI junction, so there is no "farther in".

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
All of this sounds great, but the previous owners have made it so that I have nothing but stripped wires under the fender, in the colors I described. I can't find any information as far as "how tos" , when it comes to a couple of decades of abuse. I'm restoring a POJ, because it was still running strong, (at least BEFORE trying to install a new ignition switch, where many have tried before) after eliminating the headlights, I have a black, a red, a green, and 3 light colored faded(partially stripled) wires. This is at the CDI junction, so there is no "farther in".
if they hacked the wire harness up as bad as you say ^^^ ?, then just replace the whole wire harness, and fix it right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I could get fire to the coil, I could Chase the rest down by which are hot and which aren't. The battery didn't charge, but the magneto is fine, so NONE of these are hot without turning the engine over

·
Registered
15 Posts
  1. Apparently it's a common problem, as I can't find a used wiring harness for this model. The downside of wanting to make everything "correct", The harness could easily cost more than I paid for the ATV.

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
  1. Apparently it's a common problem, as I can't find a used wiring harness for this model. The downside of wanting to make everything "correct", The harness could easily cost more than I paid for the ATV.
look on ebay, you prob wont find a brand new harness from honda, as most parts are being discontinued today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just checked back in, but finally solved the mystery. I have the Honda running great with the new switch, just have to figure out what they did to screw up the charging. That was the only other wiring issue it had, so apparently the ignition switch is good to go. The magneto is working fine, but these jokers have screwed up the wiring at the voltage regulator. I bought a 2wd for the rear differential, so it was a huge help with the ignition wiring. This is a $400 4x4 ATV and a $300 2wd parts ATV. The wiring harness on the 2wd is different colors, but makes chasing the wiring much easier. I greatly appreciate your help and will hopefully have the charging issue fixed tomorrow. These morons are the type to cut out the plugs and twist wires together from end to end. I'm shocked every time I find a plug that's intact. Other than having to use the kick start and headlights dimming when engine is revved, it's running really good. Hopefully I'll get the charging fixed, as the motor and drivetrain seem really strong. Next project, welding broken rack mounts, reworking the front and rear brakes, and changing ALL of the various lubricants, as I found 90W gear oil in the transfer case . I'm sure I'll be needing you guys expertise again, before I'm comfortable with the "restoration"
  • Thanks again

1 - 20 of 40 Posts