Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 300 Fourtrax we were in the woods working and when we went to start the ATV it started but wouldn't quit turning over. As if we were just sitting there holding the ignition button down. Hit the kill switch which shut down the engine but the starter continued to turn over. The only way we got it to stop was by unplugging the battery. Any Ideas what can cause this? It still happens as soon as we hook the battery back up.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Stuck starter button or stuck solenoid would be the first places to check

Find the solenoid [not sure where it is on that machine] and it will have 2 big lugs, and then a small connector. The connector is the control wires from the starter button [and the ground is from the neutral switch] Unplug the connect and then see if it's still trying to start when you attach the battery.

If it tries to start, then it's probably a bad solenoid. If it doesn't, then plug the connector back in....if it tries to start, then the starter button is stuck.

It could also be a short somewhere, but those are some tests to help troubleshoot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe my dad has looked at the button and it seemed ok but im going to double check it tomorrow. Where can I get a good schematic of the electrical system so I can find the solenoid? Or is it in a pretty easily accessed area?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I believe the starter solenoid on those is beside or behind the battery, somewhere in that area. I agree with Pain, but my money's on the starter solenoid. Here is a wiring diagram, just in case you need it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Yes that solenoid is right next to the battery on the 300's in a little rubber boot (mine is anyway) its small round and really hard to miss.

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
FYI the Schematic list it as it's true name..." Starter Relay Switch" So you don't get confused.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, and it's right beside the battery in the diagram.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a ford that did the same thing...and nothing sucks so bad as trying to rip wires off before they melt or fry the starter. In the end it was the starter solinoid....a simple fix

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I had a ford that did the same thing...and nothing sucks so bad as trying to rip wires off before they melt or fry the starter. In the end it was the starter solinoid....a simple fix
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had it happen to me a few times. I've had it happen on Fords and I have it happen on ATVs, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. It was the starter Solenoid, I took it and tapped it with a screw driver and it started working. I think I'm going to replace it still to keep it from happening again though.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. It was the starter Solenoid, I took it and tapped it with a screw driver and it started working. I think I'm going to replace it still to keep it from happening again though.
Yeah, you better replace it, because it will just do it again. I've had it happen to me before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for the help everyone. It was the starter solenoid, i took it and tapped it with a screw driver and it started working. I think i'm going to replace it still to keep it from happening again though.
yeah, you better replace it, because it will just do it again. I've had it happen to me before.

100% agree....and it will happen in the worst situation...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
sorry didnt see the sec page when i replied just wok up and havent got fully awake yet lol
Yeah, I've done that before. Replied before I realized there was a second page.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts