Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. The shift lever on my 96 300 is loose again. It has come loose before but we tapped it back on and it worked then it broke again and we loosened And tighented the bolt and that worked. Till it broke the next day so then we got a new bolt but when we took out the old one of snapped off, luckily it was too long and we twisted it out wih vice grips. When there wasn't even a bolt on it the shifter wouldn't come off the shifter shaft. Now it's loose again, flopped all the way down until the foot peg stopped it. Question is, I'm pretty sure the splines are worn, so can I epoxy it to the spindle? How hard is it to remove the shaft with a shifter epoxyed to it? Thanks. -Tennessee:icon_ cry:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Best idea replace you shift shaft if not go to a goo quality Welder and have him weld the all around the front and some tac welds on the back or a full weld if he can get that close to it

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
x2, the only right way to do it is to replace the shift shaft and shifter which will be a huge pita but will last. Welding it will work if your careful, but you stand a chance of burning that seal and leaking oil, which will result in you having to take it down anyways...

Worse comes to worse you can always just cut the shifter shaft off at the end where the weld is, since it will need to be replaced anyways.... I suppose worth a shot welding it as much as I hate it, lol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
mine did this but the splines were only worn in one spot. i went and got a grade A bolt. slid the shifter over to a spot with better splines and tightened the crap out of it. i havent had any problems as of yet.

i think i might have grinded the shifter down a little where it clams, opened it up some so it could clamp down tighter.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
NO WELDING!!!! My shifter did the same thing. I pulled it off...smeared JB weld inside...put it back on...let it dry for 2 days...DONE! No welding needed. (Well, I did use chemical weld)

Ben

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Get you a good droll bit and some oil carefully drill trogh the shifter and the shaft put a good nut and bolt on it and your good

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
ok so how hard is it to replace an unwelded shift shaft?
PITA... I'd recommend downloading and reading that section of the manual. If your up for it though thats the route I would go with though.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
You have to remove both side covers to remove the shifter shaft....

i you decide to go that route i have both shifter shaft and shift lever for sale $35 shipped to your door.

let me know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im back. wellll, I kinda did everything you guys said not to! lol sorry. first we jb welded it on, drove up a bout a quarter of a mile, turn around, shift out of reverse, and snap! off it goes! so I get to drive back down the hill in reverse uugggg. Later that week we used vise grips on the shaft ( it literally has no splines)to get into neutral and first so I could drive it up to grandpas house so he could weld it on. SUCESS! or not. got it home, left to go to school football game. Dad moved the quad, when I got home it was broken! @#%&!!!! (don't say my grandpa cant weld, he went to college for it, welded in the corp of engineers, welded as a sheet metal worker, and welded in the TVA, he kinda knows what hes doing) ANYWAY after all this trouble, my dad will not attempt to replace the shaft. (these are the familys quads not mine, but if I break somin, I have to fix it or pay for it) so now we are going to get a brand new shifter, and drill out the threads and run a blot and nut all the way through it and tighten it realllyyy tight. hope it works.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Mine did the same thing mine had splines and still looks great tapped it out and put another bolt in it and a nut on top used loctite, it is a little loose but not much, two years later mine is doing great.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My big red has been welded for I know 18yrs.lol.I welded it on when I was 14.it has been beat and used and abused!! Its been a farm rig all its life.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My new shifter came in, we didn't drill out the threads, put it on as normal, used extra long hardned bolt, and put another nut on top of everything. working so far, been a week!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts