Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I would as first rather than break something. how does it come off, need to remove the upper plastic>
thx

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I believe he has a 2015 420........ ??

·
Registered
613 Posts
thought I would as first rather than break something. how does it come off, need to remove the upper plastic>
thx
Are you saying you need to remove the knob because you want to remove the front plastic OR
Are you asking if you need to remove the front plastic in order to take off the knob??

I can only tell you how to remove the knob on a 2014 Rancher 420FM. I removed the knob not long ago.

1. Remove the seat.
2. Remove the gas cap and Remove the tank cover; lifting the cover up and off of the knob. You do not need to remove the front plastic.
3. Remove the two bolts that hold the knob assembly to the frame.
4. On the inside (engine side) of the knob you'll see a small set screw that secures the knob to the lever

If the procedure is not the same for the 2015, it should be similar. There are no instructions for removing the knob in the 2014 service manual.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but the slot where the shifter comes thru is to narrow for the plastic to slide over the shift knob and I don't feel a set screw. hummm?

·
Registered
613 Posts
thanks but the slot where the shifter comes thru is to narrow for the plastic to slide over the shift knob and I don't feel a set screw. hummm?
Oh, so, you're talking about the black plastic piece that surrounds the knob and is not part of the fuel tank cover. That plastic part is labels 2 WD - 4 WD.
You're correct that the black plastic piece will not slide off. This is why you have to remove the two bolts that hold that entire assembly to the frame of the bike. Then, looking at the assemble, you'll see other bolts that need to be removed. I replaced that same part along with the knob.

I'll try to look at mine and post more info. Sorry you're having such a hard time with this project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it, now it's truth time. I was just trying to pull the plastic to do an oil change. stupi me did not realize the black plastic was not part of the red plastic. I now have the plastic off and am not so stupid anymore. lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
got it, now it's truth time. I was just trying to pull the plastic to do an oil change. stupi me did not realize the black plastic was not part of the red plastic. I now have the plastic off and am not so stupid anymore. lol
That's too funny! Yep, now you know. I say that a lot. LOL

Did not realize you have to remove the plastic tank cover to change the oil on a 2015 Rancher. Are you sure? LOL. My 2014 has a small "door" (lid) that you open to access the oil dipstick. I'm guessing you are also changing the air filter.

For the sake of wrapping up this thread I will explain how to remove the black selector knob. It may be helpful to someone else.

I told you it was attached with a set screw, but I was wrong. The knob is held in place by a slight notch in the metal lever. Now I remember how I did it. I removed the assembly from the bike because I had to replace the pillow ball, a spring and the black plastic "gate". So, I had it taken apart.
I placed the lever in my padded vice and then had to tilt the knob forward (rounded end) while pulling up. It was a bear for me get it off but only because I lacked the grip strength. The removal might also have involved channel lock pliers. :)

You have to hold the new knob angled forward and slip it down and back so that the rounded part of the knob slips over the notch on the lever.

Can the knob be removed while the assembly is still on the bike? Probably. If you're going to replace the knob, just cut the old one off! The new one goes on pretty easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts