Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so as my other post i have 3rd gear problems well i found a guy on cl and bought a "good" idk if it is or isent yet bottom end so im going to check the clutch and stuff and use honda bond stuff for the sides now with the jugg and head can i use honda bond for that to or do i need gaskets for them as it works as a spacer so it wont hit the valves ?? new to this so just asking head and jug gasket yes a must or no and how hard and expensive is the 2 gaskets to find and cost if that all makes and since

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You will need to use a new head gasket. I would use gaskets anywhere it originally had a gasket, but usually you can use Hondabond on the valve cover. Make sure all old gaskets are removed good and it's best to clean with some sort of solvent. I usually use Acetone as it is good at dissolving oils and it evaporates really quick without leaving any kind of residue. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation when using Acetone.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree^^^^ but the valvecovers have o-rings so you will need to get them also I would suggest a complete gasket kit it will come with everything you need to do the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iight ill be looking for them as well i know some gaskets can be reusable can i not with the o rings theres not even 5hours on the motor yet :p but no biggie ill be looking for somewhere open tomorrow -_-

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Yeah you should be fine with them I would clean them up and make sure there are no knicks in them, eplace the head gasket 5 hrs is enough time to seat a gasket you would never get it back in it's original state even with dowl pins.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to buy just the head gasket at the Honda Shop.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Any time you take parts off that require a gasket, replace them its better to do it now rather than after you get it back together and have a leak!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i found a local guy around here with a top end gasket kit for 25$ i got so i can start putting this thing back together is there any right ups or anything for topend build write ups for this bike ?? another first time thing for me lol

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I havent seen anything on this forum but just make sure everything is clean and make double sure you get your ring spacing right or you will be back into the engine faster than you put it together. also inves in a ring compressor abut 18 to 20 bucks at you local NAPA auto parts your going to need it to put the piston in the jug. they are pretty staight forward just remember how everything came apart and you'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts