Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1992 250x will die when it gets a little wet or when some water splashes up into it. Is this just something to deal with or is there anything I can do. I do not drive through deep water or anything like that, it just happens if I run through a puddle or something with a little water. It does not have an air box cover (didn't come with it) and the filter was a little damp. Maybe finding a cover would fix it? Just wondering if it is something electrical or something to do with the air box.
Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would get some dielectric grease and put on all the electrical connections. Put some on the spark plug boot, too. If that doesn't fix it, I would get an air box lid and put on it, but you'll probably have to rejet with an air box lid or you will probably be running a little rich. If the filter was wet and you're going to be riding in wet conditions, it would be a good ideal to get the air box lid, anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I'll give the grease a try and will also try to find a lid for it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I'll give the grease a try and will also try to find a lid for it.
You're welcome. You may not have to rejet with the air box lid. It depends on whether whoever took the lid off, rejetted when they took the lid off. It could be running lean now. You'll just have to check the color of your spark plug to tell for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it from my neighbor who had it since new. He may have the lid sitting around somewhere. The plug is only slightly black, but it's been there for a while.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Yeah my guess would be moisture getting on the filter and the carb sucking it in and stalling you out, mine will do the same thing if I hit a big puddle, I don't have an air box lid either. I try to steer clear of water and mud holes I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The 250x's and 300ex should stay away from water all together.There bearings go to easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts