Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 520 F.S.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I don’t know if this has been covered anywhere else, my apologies if so… I just bought at 2021 Rubicon foot shift (TRX520FM6) and I had an extremely hard time installing the 2” Highlifter rear lift. I noticed that the rear sits higher than the front already stock, and it looks like the axles in the rear were at a pretty tight angle/extension prior to the lift. When I was installing the rear lift, I disconnected the shocks and sway bar end links on both sides, loosened the A-arm bolts and bent the tab above the left rear shock up and out of the way. When reassembling , I had to put a lot of force into pushing the arms/knuckle/axle down in order to get the shocks in place on the new bracket. I forgot to mention that I also adjusted the shocks so that they were on the lightest setting possible before installing the new bracket.

I watched a video of Four Wheeler Doctor (YouTube) installing the same kit on a 2021 Rubicon DCT and it didn’t look like he had nearly as much of a struggle that I had. I don’t think he even disconnected the sway bar…

Has anyone else installed the HL 2” lift kit on a 2021 Rubicon foot shift? I ended up taking it back off because it had the axle at to severe of an angle for my liking and the camber was way far off… I have a 420 rancher IRS that has the HL lift kit on it and I didn’t have any struggle installing it, but it was DCT Auto (just like the Rubicon that Four Wheeler Doctor had on YouTube)… I wonder whether the Rubicon FS model has something different than the DCTs, maybe something extra specifically for towing purposes… I saw a Rubicon on FB marketplace about a month ago where the person said they had a 2” lift on the front only, but it wasn’t a 520… I can’t find it anymore or else I’d ask him.

is this actually a thing or is it just me?

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
351 Posts
I had a perfex lift on my 2020 foot shift rubicon for a bit.
It's only 1 1/2 inches of lift in the rear and still too much lift for the stock axles, I had to pry the shocks down to install it and the axles bind at full droop. If you rotate the wheels by hand with the atv jacked up you can see/feel the axles bind.
The front is 2 1/4 inches of lift and totally fine. I took it off after ripping a inner rear cv boot, I fixed the boot but the axle clicks non stop with the lift installed and barley at all without the lift.
My brother had a high lifter lift on his 2021 dct rubicon for a bit, he had to pry the shocks down to install it, it rode super stiff and bound the rear axles up at full droop so he removed it too. If he puts it back on we're going to drill new holes for the rear shocks making it about 1 1/2 inches of lift like the better perfex lift kit.

There's a few guys on youtube running front lifts only on rubicons as the rear lift wrecks the axles but the fronts fine.

We both will upgrade to demon hd axles at some point and reinstall our lifts, those axles will handle the extra angle and the extra height is nice in the deep ruts.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 520 F.S.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a perfex lift on my 2020 foot shift rubicon for a bit.
It's only 1 1/2 inches of lift in the rear and still too much lift for the stock axles, I had to pry the shocks down to install it and the axles bind at full droop. If you rotate the wheels by hand with the atv jacked up you can see/feel the axles bind.
The front is 2 1/4 inches of lift and totally fine. I took it off after ripping a inner rear cv boot, I fixed the boot but the axle clicks non stop with the lift installed and barley at all without the lift.
My brother had a high lifter lift on his 2021 dct rubicon for a bit, he had to pry the shocks down to install it, it rode super stiff and bound the rear axles up at full droop so he removed it too. If he puts it back on we're going to drill new holes for the rear shocks making it about 1 1/2 inches of lift like the better perfex lift kit.

There's a few guys on youtube running front lifts only on rubicons as the rear lift wrecks the axles but the fronts fine.

We both will upgrade to demon hd axles at some point and reinstall our lifts, those axles will handle the extra angle and the extra height is nice in the deep ruts.
Thanks Eric! I took the rear lift off mine immediately and never went on a ride with it on. My bike was only 1.5 hours old at the time so why risk it? I currently have 30” Monster Mayhems on it and they fit perfectly with just the front lift and no rear lift. I took it out for the first time Saturday and it handles great with just the front. Much much better than my IRS 420. Now I’m waiting on 2 more of the 4 30” BKTs I ordered the same day I bought the bike (2.5 weeks ago now, thanks FedEx), but I’ve been thinking about going with 32” Motos, or 33” BKTs, instead. Im not too keen on cutting my foot wells, so having that extra lift in the back should make it clear, but I’m also not ready to murder 24 mile old axles for that little extra. Like you said, I’m gonna invest in some 8 ball axles soon and might put the rear lift back on. I’ll probably pull the drill press out and drill new holes in the HL brackets as well.

My IRS 420 does the same thing you described about when the wheels are off the ground and you turn the tires, you can feel the axles pivoting hard. But that bike does squat down once it’s holding its own weight and it didn’t take a pry bar to get the shocks into place on the lift bracket, so that’s something different compared to the 520… It’s got a little over 500 hours on that 420 and haven’t had to replace either of the rear axles, or boots. My 10 year old just inherited that bike, so we’ll see what happens now that a lighter rider is on it, but I doubt anything will.

I just don’t understand why these aftermarket lift manufacturers sell these lift kits for the 520s with a rear lift included. Did the 500 Rubicon have a different setup that the kit worked on and they just assume that it’s compatible with the 2020+ 520s?

·
Registered
2020 Rubicon 520 DCT-IRS-EPS
5 Posts
Hello everyone! I don’t know if this has been covered anywhere else, my apologies if so… I just bought at 2021 Rubicon foot shift (TRX520FM6) and I had an extremely hard time installing the 2” Highlifter rear lift. I noticed that the rear sits higher than the front already stock, and it looks like the axles in the rear were at a pretty tight angle/extension prior to the lift. When I was installing the rear lift, I disconnected the shocks and sway bar end links on both sides, loosened the A-arm bolts and bent the tab above the left rear shock up and out of the way. When reassembling , I had to put a lot of force into pushing the arms/knuckle/axle down in order to get the shocks in place on the new bracket. I forgot to mention that I also adjusted the shocks so that they were on the lightest setting possible before installing the new bracket.

I watched a video of Four Wheeler Doctor (YouTube) installing the same kit on a 2021 Rubicon DCT and it didn’t look like he had nearly as much of a struggle that I had. I don’t think he even disconnected the sway bar…

Has anyone else installed the HL 2” lift kit on a 2021 Rubicon foot shift? I ended up taking it back off because it had the axle at to severe of an angle for my liking and the camber was way far off… I have a 420 rancher IRS that has the HL lift kit on it and I didn’t have any struggle installing it, but it was DCT Auto (just like the Rubicon that Four Wheeler Doctor had on YouTube)… I wonder whether the Rubicon FS model has something different than the DCTs, maybe something extra specifically for towing purposes… I saw a Rubicon on FB marketplace about a month ago where the person said they had a 2” lift on the front only, but it wasn’t a 520… I can’t find it anymore or else I’d ask him.

is this actually a thing or is it just me?
Hello. I installed the same Highlifter 2" Signature series kit on my 2020 Rubicon 520 - DCT - EPS - IRS - and it was fine, no install issues at all. Took about an hour, and so far I have 675 miles on, and the boots are fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts