Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit down on a 2021 Rancher. I'm supposed to get it soon. In watching videos and reading forums, I see a LOT of complaints about the Rancher being hard to shift. I got the foot shift version coming. Then I was watching a YouTube video on a 2021 and the guy said that he thinks Honda changed something in the '21 models because his '21 shifts way better than any of his older ones.

Does anybody here know if it's true that Honda made changes to help the 21s shift more easily?

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
They were probably taking about the dct models, foot shifts have been the same since the 80's, it shifts when you want to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were probably taking about the dct models, foot shifts have been the same since the 80's, it shifts when you want to.
He was specifically reviewing a foot shift model.

Maybe his was just a lucky one that came a little "looser" from the factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went ahead and bought the machine. It does feel a little stiff and notchy, but then again it's literally brand new. So we'll see....

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
At 1000 kms I switched to Rotella T-6 noticed mine ran and shifted better.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
My 2020 shifted really hard for the first 100kms then it got better.
It got better again at 1000kms when I put 5-40 synthetic oil in it (shell rotella just like all my bikes and atvs for the last 10 years have run)
One of the guys I go atving with put 0-40 synthetic in his 420 rancher to get it to shift good, says it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a lot of posts about Rotella in these Hondas. What's the reasoning behind diesel oil in place of motorcycle oil? Does diesel oil have the same formulation as a motorcycle oil?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was your out come did it ever shift smoothly
So my ATV is literally about 3 months old now and has 200 miles on it. So still not a good example. But it still shifts very hard and notchy when it's cold. By cold I mean it can be 60 degrees outside but if the ATV hasn't been running all night it'll still shift like sh*t. After it gets warmed up really good the trans shifts much easier. Sometimes it's buttery smooth. It seems to be VERY temperature dependent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts