Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2020 Rancher 4x4 with manual shift yesterday. It would seem its difficult to shift. Its almost painful on the top of my foot to upshift. This is not my first atv - in fact this is my second Rancher but this just doesn't seem right.

My first ride was just a little spin around the neighborhood. I really needed to pivot my foot down as far as I could then flip up quickly to get it to upshift. Of course it was painful smacking your big to on the shifter when just a simple nudge should do the trick... Yes is wearing running shoes not boots (but have ridden plenty in the past without boots) so that's my point of reference. It just does not seem that this is normal - at least I hope not. If so I can see riding this thing for any long periods of time.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
42 Posts
My 2020 foot shift rubicon shifts pretty hard until the motor is up to temp then it shifts easy. My bud with a 500 rubicon has the same issue, they don't like the cold lol.
Mine also started shifting easier after a couple short rides, it needs to break in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a 2020 Rancher. It was harder to shift from miles 0-25. It now has 80 miles on it and seems to be broke in. It now shifts about the same as my old 2010 Rancher

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a 2020 rancher footshift back In March I’ve got 300km on it and it’s also very hard to shift till it’s warmed up. Sometimes backing out of my garage I have to shit it off to get it in to neutral just to get it out of reverse. Dealer said this was a break in period. It is getting easier the more I break it in. I also found letting the bike warm up 10-15 mins eases the shift problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the response! I was a bit concerned, but I will keep an eye on it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I was the only one for a while that had this problem! I bought a brand new 2019 Rancher 4x4 manual. Same exact thing, you could NOT shift that thing cold! It would have to warm up fully before it would even think about it. Reverse cold was the worst. Going into reverse yeah you push down so thats doable but not going back to neutral. I had to reach down with my hand and pull the lever up. I took it back to the Honda dealer and they opened up the clutch assembly and said its all in spec's but they said the old 300's had oil holes drilled into i'm guessing the clutch plates and said they aren't sure why they ever stopped doing that. They didn't even ask me and drilled those holes and I also heard that Honda's synthetic oil helps so they changed the oil at 7 hours with that. I took it home and it was 100X better cold. I could actually shift it out of reverse everytime and while not totally perfect, i had to cruise with it for 2 minutes to get the oil splashed around and then you could shift like silk after that.

THEN I bought a 2001 Recon manual from the same dealer that had original tires on it still so i know it had low hours and in super shape. When cold for the first 5 minutes it is near impossible to shift out of 1st gear. It will go into and out of reverse and 1st gear cold no problem. So I think ALL Honda's are like this until you get 100+ hours on it. It's a bummer something new is like that but unless you get the ES or Auto you have to deal.

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
and i'm gonna say some dummy at the honda factoy needs to re-learn how to adjust the dang clutch !..lol. other than auto's ?, manual shifts SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WARM UP JUST TO SHIFT !. 29 years of working on these honda's, this should tell you what i know ! :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
When i took it back to Honda, the guy rode it off my truck in reverse then sure enough, he had to reach down and pull the shift lever up. I made sure when i delivered it it was cold. I guess my bad for not test driving it off the showroom. One of those things you figure its NEW it should work! But I am totally happy with it now at 20 hours. Few times it will still do it if i just start and GO instantly but few revs and it's silky smooth then. Only the very first start of the day after sitting a week is it stiff. The rest of the day it doesn't do that.

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
When i took it back to Honda, the guy rode it off my truck in reverse then sure enough, he had to reach down and pull the shift lever up. I made sure when i delivered it it was cold. I guess my bad for not test driving it off the showroom. One of those things you figure its NEW it should work! But I am totally happy with it now at 20 hours. Few times it will still do it if i just start and GO instantly but few revs and it's silky smooth then. Only the very first start of the day after sitting a week is it stiff. The rest of the day it doesn't do that.
i just know that a manual shift being '' broke in '' does not have to be warmed up to be able to shift ?. i will say with brand new, perhaps they do ?, i dont' know ?, i've never bought, owned new ?, i like not having payments !!..lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son bought a new 2020 Rancher manual shift last week, I thought the same thing. Compared to other atv's we've owned shifting is extremely hard.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,073 Posts
My son bought a new 2020 Rancher manual shift last week, I thought the same thing. Compared to other atv's we've owned shifting is extremely hard.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
makes me think someone at the factory is not adjusting the clutches correctly !.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
42 Posts
It's either that or they're a little different then they were 20 years ago.
You have to remember the efi motors idle higher than normal until warmed up, once warm the idle drops down to normal speed.
You could adjust the clutch so it works better when cold on fast idle but it would be off when warmed up.
You literally couldn't jump on an older carbed one, start it up and click it into gear without warming it up when its cold out. They either stall because you took the choke off or shift hard because you left the choke on and its idling high. This never came up before because guys warmed up their machines before moving them with efi no one warms stuff up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts