Honda ATV Forum banner

2020 Rancher 420 TRX420FA6 - Maxxis Zilla (26-28) and Rim (12-14) upgrade

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Shinson 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've done quite a bit of reading the last few weeks on rims, wheels, offsets, etc. Looking to upgrade my son's tires and rims. The 2020 420 Rancher comes with 24x8x12 up front and 24x10x11 in the back. I've added a 2" Highlifter lift to it. He has decided on Maxxis Zilla 27" tires and would like to have 14" rims. The only issue I see with this could be the width of the 27" tires. From research, I need to get 5+2 offset rims all around. The 27" Zillas are 27x10x14 front, 27x12x14 in back, which adds a good bit of width all around. If they'll fit with no rubbing, we'll go with that.

The other options is to go with 28" Zillas. The 27"s are wider and come to a total weight of 99.6 lbs. The 28"s are 28x9x14 front, 28x11x14 rear and come to 98.6 lbs. So they're actually lighter. And the Zillas do run a little shorter from what I've read and experienced (have a 2020 Rubicon with 25" Zillas that measure about a half inch less).

So, do I go with 14" rims with a 5+2 offset all around and 27x10/12x14? (front/rear 99.6lbs in tires)
Or, 14" rims with 5+2 offset all around and 27x9/11x14? (front/rear 98.6 lbs in tires)

He is NOT opposed to 12" rims, but I'd like to get what he'd want. If he hates the 14" rims I could always put them on my 2020 Rubicon 520 and throw the Rubicon rims on his.

Thanks!
SH

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this a sra or irs rancher?
The sra takes a 2+5 rear rim, the irs takes the same 5+2 rim front and rear with aftermarket rims. Rim offset has no effect on tires fitting on the newer hondas, they have huge fender wells.
All these offsets work.
5+1 = stock front and dosent stick out past the fenders, 5+2 sticks out a touch and 4+3 sticks out a bit, ITP wheels are wrongly labeled as 5+2, they're actually 4+3 and stick out a bit.
Im not into flashy rims or 14's unless they have 30's on em. I'd get after market steel 12 inch rims for the rear and put 27x9x12 and 27x11x12 zillas on it.
If you get 14's get the 28's so they're skinnier and taller.

#3 ·
Yeah I did some more research today. The FA6 is IRS. Thanks for the heads up on offset. ITP site said 4+3 but the site I was looking at to buy from said they had 5+2 option. I was going to call before ordering to be sure. 4+3 won't rub with the inside at 4 instead of 5? I wouldn't mind a 4+3 for a little wider stance with the small lift for stability. Trails we ride aren't super narrow.

And I also agree with the 28" Zillas. I would go with a 12" rim myself, but trying to get him what he'd like. I don't spoil them often. The 28" Zillas are actually 1 pound lighter all around for the 4 tires than the 27's since they're skinnier too.

Thanks!

#4 ·
5+2 or 4+3 or stock wheels all clear bigger tires just fine, the height of the tire is limiting fitment first not width. 30's will rub the fenders when you bottom the shocks, anything smaller clears no problem.
I have itp 5+2 (really 4+3) rims on the back of my rubicon now, they dont rub a thing with 27's, they just get me a little muddy if I spin the tires a bit.
I bought 5+2 itp wheels in grey then painted them black to get that offset, there's cheaper black 4+3's but I didnt want those lol. Im not too happy with itp stuff at the moment.

#5 ·
Just an update to all those out there, we went with 28" Zilla's - 28x9x14 & 28x11x14 mounted on System 3 ST-3 Bronze 14" wheels. Ordered from KJ Motorsports. Some shots of before and after. The before image includes a 2" Highlifter lift on the Rancher so it sits about level with the Rubicon. Second pic is 2" lift and snorkel on both. That's all I've done to them. Have a few more pics if anyone wants to see more.

Edit for clarification: Rancher had 24", went to 28". Rubicon has stock 25's. I'd like to try Aztecs on the Rubicon, but they only make them in 14"+ wheels. So we'll see after I wear out stock tires. Plan on keeping stock wheels on the Rubicon.

Question, what should I sell the stock wheels/tires for? Tires had about 140 miles on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.