Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey as the title describes I have a 2018 honda rubicon 500 fs that I just purchased. Reflecting back I think the seller may have been hiding some info but again could just be me lol. Any ways I tried to do a top speed run on it yesterday and it just seems like it doesn't have the power "I" think it should. In fifth gear I struggled to get past 60km/h that's roughly 38mph. I should not the bike has 26" tires on it. I'll do a GPS run today and see if there's any difference. I asked if there was a gr kit and he had no clue.

Thanks for any info or help!

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
I have a 520 and know guys with 500 rubicons, they'll all about the same top speed wise, the 520 is just a bit torquier at low revs.
Mine goes 76 on the speedo but isnt happy above 60 so I keep it under 60 most of the time, I pass ranchers showing mid 80's while showing 76, the honda speedo's are not accurate.
Tires have a huge impact on top speed, me and my brother both have 520 rubicons with 27's but my tires are skinnier and lighter, I can pass him on the road.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Really, and welcome to the forum BTW, that's about right. They're just not made with high-speed in mind. They are built to reliably go over, around, or through all types of terrain...just not very fast. More utility than say sport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure thanks for the reply! I was just wondering why the difference in GPS and speedo is so great. 55 on speedo and 73 on GPS seems like a fair amount? But that's just my nature if something seems off I have to get to the bottom of it 🙃

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 520 and know guys with 500 rubicons, they'll all about the same top speed wise, the 520 is just a bit torquier at low revs.
Mine goes 76 on the speedo but isnt happy above 60 so I keep it under 60 most of the time, I pass ranchers showing mid 80's while showing 76, the honda speedo's are not accurate.
Tires have a huge impact on top speed, me and my brother both have 520 rubicons with 27's but my tires are skinnier and lighter, I can pass him on the road.
Thanks for the reply! mine was shoeing 55 on speedo and 73 on GPS. When I made this post I was unaware of the GPS speed at the time. I found it hard to judge the speed but knowing what I know It's not a big deal. However if the speedo is off too much it will affect the odometer.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
There's youtube videos of rubicons going faster than the speedo reads on gps with stock tires. Once you add larger tires the speedo is really off, this is the opposite to most atv's which read higher than your going.
Guys would complain less about the top speed on rubicons if the speedo was accurate or reading high like most atv's do so they thought they were going faster.
We go down a back road to connect trails once and a while, its always fun to tell guys 'I was only going 70 when I passed you' lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's youtube videos of rubicons going faster than the speedo reads on gps with stock tires. Once you add larger tires the speedo is really off, this is the opposite to most atv's which read higher than your going.
Guys would complain less about the top speed on rubicons if the speedo was accurate or reading high like most atv's do so they thought they were going faster.
We go down a back road to connect trails once and a while, its always fun to tell guys 'I was only going 70 when I passed you' lol.
I agree with you I felt as if I was moving slower when it only indicated 55km while I was actually doing 73. Placebo effect I guess ha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts