Honda ATV Forum banner

2018 Rancher 2WD - who has a 2wd and are you happy? Comparing Rancher to Alterra 300

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  57tim 
#1 ·
I can get a new 2108 Rancher 2WD for around 4299. I would go 4x4 but out of my budget.
Who has a 2WD and are you happy with it? It seems most go for the 4wd.

Snow - Better tires or chains?

I mostly putter around in my pasture but will use it for hauling firewood with small trailer and winch out longer cuts, fence repair etc. Don’t really ride trails but might try some.

I am also looking at Alterra 300/Kymco/Brute Force 300 as I like the idea of NOT having to shift with feet. However, basically same price and one gets so much more engine with the Honda. I can get an Alterra300 about 400 cheaper with winch but the Kawasaki and Kymco same price as the Honda.
Opinions on the comparison?

#3 ·
first of welcome to the site
this is honest info, if your needs are to be in snow, any mud, or sloppy fields and plan to haul fire wood and like chores,
do yourself a HUGE favor, save up and BUY a 4x4 model!
even look maybe for a lower mile used one if need be, you will be a TON happier and NOT get stuck or frustrated in sloppy conditions, from spring thaw to a few inches of snow and ice, and will also be safer as well!

I am NOT bashing a 2 wheel drive just stating a fact, and its a lot cheaper to buy once than buy, not be happy sell and then upgrade!
2 wheel drives can be a LOT harder to sell, due to most wall want a 4x4, due to they just do so much more with ease!

also, if you broaden your search out farther from hoe, you might also find a dealer with some older left overs for a lower price!

#4 ·
I have owned 3 just like you are considering. I only ride for fun. On rare occasions do I use it for work. I doesn't snow around here and I don't like deep mud so I don't know about those situations very well. Over all I'm very happy with the wheelers. I put 2 inch wheel spacers on the 2014 and up models because they have a higher center of gravity. ps, where did you find such a great deal? this is drive out price correct?

#7 ·
I see one of your options is a model with automatic transmission. I have almost experience with them so I will pass that to others with knowledge of the machines. I can say that it feels weird not shifting on one, but that's about it.

If you go Honda, don't bother with the electric shift to keep from having to foot shift. I bought it on mine because my wife thought it would be easier for her. She's no better shifting with her thumb than with her foot. I find myself trying to toe an absent foot shift lever almost every time I get on it since I have motorcycles. Another negative is having to keep both hands on the grips to shift. That's bothersome when spraying, toting a bucket, etc. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the cheaper and 100% reliable foot shift version. Foot shifting will quickly become second nature and won't make anything you want to do on your machine an awkward exercise.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies. The Rancher is 3800 pls fees is 4299 out the door...plus we pay sales tax in the county when we title.
I have found a Foreman for 4995. It must be a leftover 2017 with 278 miles on it. I assume a dealer demo but could be a trade-in. But still, that is kinda out of my price range. Looks like that may be a better deal than the Rancher at 4299, although it is a 2018.
I also found a 2016 Suzuki Quad 750 for 5,000. I may go look at it.
Almost think I should just get the Rancher and be done with it. Or the lower priced Textron 300 2018 for 3795 out the door includes winch. At the moment I am leaning toward the Textron for 500 less but feel I may be better off, service wise, with the Rancher.

#9 ·
Welcome, I get the having a budget and wanting a ATV, I have had a few 2 wheeled drive ATVs they have all be Honda's and there is nothing wrong about it. In my opinion don't get the Textron never had one not sure who makes, but if you plan on keeping it for awhile the parts will be around for along time with the Honda. Who knows with a Textron, with the rancher if taking care of you could 20 plus years out of it. Mine is a 08 and it runs just as good as the day I bought it.

#10 ·
The textron 300 is made by Kymco, and while not a horrible machine, the Rancher is built so much better. Plus with the number of Ranchers sold, parts will be available for a LONG time.

#12 ·
I don't think there was really any changes from 16 to 18, a basic 4×4 foot shift is around 5300 and one with ps and es probably cost a few hundred more, not sure. So one with 20 hrs for that price seems fair. As long as it didn't get all beat up in that 20 hrs it's basically brand-new.

#13 ·
I would avoid the es like the plague. If you could find the smaller framed Rancher (08-13), in a foot shift...That would be a good find.

#14 ·
I have 2wd and 4wd 300s , believe or not ,the 2wd can follow a 4wd just about anywhere the 4wd can go , you will have to go around holes here and there , might have to get off and walk it thru while giving it gas in gear ------ they are lighter and float , if it gets stuck you can lift it and move it over to the side by yourself ------ but with that said , if you are going to be by yourself , doing work , get a 4wd

#16 ·
700 bucks between a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive honda, even with 278 miles on it, is worth the money, you plan to work the atv, and your going to WISH you had 4 wheel drive come spring time, fall and winter , when things get sloppy!
I am NOT bashing 2 wheel drives either, if you trail ride decent trails, it all you will ever need
BUT you seem to have more plans of work, than trail riding!
you will loose way more money selling it down the road to UP grade later on than what the extra 700 bucks will run you now!
PLUS< you will also have a MUCH larger pool of folks that will want a to BUY the 4 wheel drive if you ever decide to sell it too, so it will hold value better and be a true 4 season use machine for work, plowing snow, hauling wood, or what ever!
as I said I get living on a budget, but, I also believe in buy once cry once, over wishing you spent the little more later on and it costing you closer to 2 grand to get into a like foreman !
as selling a 2 wheel drive is NOT always easy,!

PLUS again, if you shop about, you MIGHT find a better deal yet on a 4x4 model!

#17 ·
I had a 2wd 1990 trx300 for many years and plowed snow in northern wisconsin for years, Chains and sand bags worked great. I bought a 1991 trx300 4x4 this spring and it does plow better and I can get on top of the snow pile to move it further out with the 4x4. As far as anything else they are equal. I paid 2100 for he 4x4 and sold the 2x4 for 1500. I put chains on the 4x4 also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.