Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just purchased a '17 Trx 250x about 2 months ago. I am really starting to get familiar with the machine and after the excitement from the purchase has worn out but the passion is alive, I m riding her like I stole her. I rode hard for about an hour today and began noticing a ticking. I'm not sure if it was always there and now I'm just noticing, or if she just got hot, or what. Can anyone tell me if the ticking is a normal engine sound from the TRX? Am I due for a warranty service? I have not ridden her hard until recently. The nature of today's ride was on my in laws acreage where we did a lot of high speeds but nothing aggressive on turns or romping.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
If you have been keeping up with maintenance & oil changes (& proper JASO MA oil) maybe the valve lash should be checked. If it is still under warranty talk to your dealer about this.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi everyone!
I just purchased a '17 Trx 250x about 2 months ago. I am really starting to get familiar with the machine and after the excitement from the purchase has worn out but the passion is alive, I m riding her like I stole her. I rode hard for about an hour today and began noticing a ticking. I'm not sure if it was always there and now I'm just noticing, or if she just got hot, or what. Can anyone tell me if the ticking is a normal engine sound from the TRX? Am I due for a warranty service? I have not ridden her hard until recently. The nature of today's ride was on my in laws acreage where we did a lot of high speeds but nothing aggressive on turns or romping.
Howdy! Congrats on your new quad. I think the new 250X look like tons of fun. I keep thinking of buying one myself. :)

1. If you haven't yet, I can almost guarantee that you are SUPPOSED to have the valves checked/adjusted after break-in period. If you haven't done that yet, just DO IT and then even if it continues to tick, you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that your valves are in spec.

2. Yes, from my experience, the 300EX, 250EX, 250X, 400EX quads all have a noisy valve tick that exists even when the valves are adjusted correctly. But if it were mine, I WOULD get the valves checked just to be sure. It's expected maintenance.

Then keep ridin'er like you stole'er. And, post a pic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone! We had first service done after a guess of 15 hours. It may have been a bit early, since we don't have fancy electronics on a sport quad, it certainly was not overdue. After the trx cooled off, there was a lot less ticking. I will bring it to service to make sure that during the warranty, we stay on point and keep records. I have little engine experience but have some mechanical aptitude. We bought the common service manual and the shop manual so my son and I could learn together. What is involved and needed to check or adjust the lash? I don't smell any gas or see any smoke indicating lean/rich issues. Any advice or pieces of wisdom?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
you will need a feeler gauge in the correct range of measure, a valve nut tool, and usually a way to turn the engine over to TDC on the compression stroke. There might even be a part number for the tools specified in the service manual. Don't leave them loose and don't get them too tight. You might consider finding a good shop mechanic that would show you how to do it on his own time. I have had guys show me how to do stuff and charge me the overtime rate. After all it's their off time right?
On my old rig there's a LOT of tear down to set the valves; I hope it's easier for you. Otherwise you can teach your kid about tool use, parts labeling and part storage. I need two boxes just to store parts when I set valves cuz I don't like stepping all around and on parts when I'm working.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer said the ticking was normal, if it stops, bring it in because something is wrong. After first service, valves were all oak. Thanks for all your feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts