Honda ATV Forum banner

2017 Rubicon TRX500FA7

15K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  ATVTogether 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2017 Rubicon TRX500FA7 and have approx 120 kms(75miles) I went for a good ride today and on the highway my top speed was 68 kph (42mph) Seems slow compared to what everyone else seems to be getting. What are you other guys getting for speed. Just curious.

#8 ·
Question #1: Did it power out, or did it rev out? My 2016 Honda Rancher will pull right up to the rev limiter in 5th gear, and you can hear when you hit it, it starts to cut out and will not hit 51 mph. Mine will do exactly 50 miles per hour.

Question #2: I wonder if the Rubi is geared lower than my DCT solid rear axle Rancher?

#11 ·
That's odd. I have a hard time believing it doesn't have enough power to hit top speed on a flat surface. My Rancher has no problem powering up to top speed. I know the Rubi is 70 pounds heavier and probably has more parasitic power losses, but it also has more ccs. Even before mine was broken in, under 3/4 throttle it would hit 45-46mph. I didn't full-throttle it until after 100 miles.

#16 ·
OK here's what I've had on mine. This was with about 120 miles on it on a 20 degree day.

In low MAX speed was 33 mph when it hit the rev limiter. I was on ice and didn't realize I was even in low until I hit the rev limiter. Came off a trail onto the lake and started getting after it.

In high range MAX I could get was 48 mph in a wide open field. And I did NOT hit the rev limiter in high range. I think there is a speed limiter programmed in them. Because it was building speed, building speed then like coast.

#17 ·
Auto mode or esp? My Rincon is faster is esp mode and my old Rubicon is also faster in esp, I think auto is de-tuned for smoother shifting.

On the trails I ride, top speed is never an issue, it's more the hole shot that counts! While the belt machines are searching for the right ratio, I'm already down shifted and gone.

#19 ·
On my 2016 DCT AUTO Rancher it feels exactly the same in ESP or in AUTO and it pulls up to the exact same top speed. In both ESP and AUTO it hits the rev limiter. Would the Rubicons be different? Here's a video of mine doing top speed in ESP and in AUTO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNX93ys22oQ

#21 ·
The Hondamatics could be different from ESP to Auto. I doubt the Rincon or the DCT transmissions are. When I had my 650 Rinny I never found any difference between auto and ESP but I always ran ESP since I hated how the auto shifted. I want to say the RancherAT is geared higher than the Rubicon in high range but I'd have to look at the ratios to be sure on that.

#22 ·
Here is the final ratios for the 420AT, 500Foreman/Rubicon FM, and 500 DCT in both High and Low. I don't trust the numbers Honda gives for the DCT they just seem too low geared and it doesn't make sense to me. If I punch the numbers into a potential speed calc thing stupid thing should only do like 31mph at 7000rpm lol Compared to if I punch the the numbers for the FM into the same calculator it spits out 49.3MPH or 79.4KPH which is right about where I would expect it. (420AT says 49.0mph). So compared to the FM Foreman anyway, the 420AT is actually geared LOWER in 5th, but by less than 1%. The "potential" speeds are calculated on a 25" tire in 5th gear at 7000rpm, different tire sizes and actual engine RPM's will change that, as well as about 70 billion other factors....

420AT 10.61
500FM 10.55
500DCT L 23.85
500DCT H 16.57

#23 ·
I spoke to service at the dealer and he told me to put more miles on it to see if it gets better. I then called my buddy up in Edmonton and he took his in and had the valves adjusted. The clearances were to tight. He said he gained almost 5 mph and said it pulls more stronger than before. I think this could possibly be my issue.

#24 ·
Well I went ahead and checked valve clearance. Was 6k on intake and 8/9k on exhaust which I read is within specs. Warmed up the quad real good and did a compression test knowing that it has a decompression. I have 2 compression tester.s and both showed 80/83 lbs . Kind of low if you asked me. I thought it would or should be closer to 100.

#30 ·
I like the PCV better than the blinky boxes that's just me. Easier to tune on a laptop, timing adjustments etc. Little bit more money though. I figure if you bought it with the autotune you could put the wideband O2 sensor in the same bung as the factory sensor, although it's not ideal placement.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.