Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 DCT/PS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a 2017 Honda Rubicon DCT/PS. I am wanting to put ITP Mud Lite XLs on them. Front 28-10-12 Rear 28-12-12. Are those good sizes? Is the rear tires suppose to be bigger? New to 4 wheelers so don't know anything about them. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Yes rear tires are wider than fronts. Those will work fine, assuming you've got your mind made up on the suck lites. Otherwise consider other tires. Mud Bugs come to mind, although they seem hard to get in 28" in the US for no good reason...Outlaw MST/Swamp Witch are also great tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes rear tires are wider than fronts. Those will work fine, assuming you've got your mind made up on the suck lites. Otherwise consider other tires. Mud Bugs come to mind, although they seem hard to get in 28" in the US for no good reason...Outlaw MST/Swamp Witch are also great tires.
Mac thanks for the help. Ive been told by everyone to get Mud Lites. I was told outlaws are too much for my 4 wheeler?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the Zillas and the Outlaw 2s. Just have been warned about the aggressiveness of the outlaws with my specific atv

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I like the Zillas and the Outlaw 2s. Just have been warned about the aggressiveness of the outlaws with my specific atv

Well, I wouldn't go 28's if you want something as aggressive as the Outlaw2, you can do a gear reduction and go bigger but in stock form it's best to stick with 27" if going that route IMO. You will break axles, there's no getting around it, just part of playing the mud game. I have 250 hours and about 2300kms on my Rubicon running 28" Silverbacks and later 30" silverbacks and everything on the machine is still as tight as the day it was new, bearings, ball joints, rod ends, a-arm bushings etc. all still good despite the big mud tires. I do still have the one factory axle left lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, I wouldn't go 28's if you want something as aggressive as the Outlaw2, you can do a gear reduction and go bigger but in stock form it's best to stick with 27" if going that route IMO. You will break axles, there's no getting around it, just part of playing the mud game. I have 250 hours and about 2300kms on my Rubicon running 28" Silverbacks and later 30" silverbacks and everything on the machine is still as tight as the day it was new, bearings, ball joints, rod ends, a-arm bushings etc. all still good despite the big mud tires. I do still have the one factory axle left lol

LOL did you do a gear reduction on yours to run the outlaws? and how hard is it?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
No, I've been trying to manage without it. It does OK on the trails and watery mud, snow is fine too. But it's not hard to get it to completely bog out even in 1st gear where it just will not spin the tires. One of these days I'll get smart and buy some smaller tires lol. On the bright side those 30's fit just fine with no lift or anything haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I've been trying to manage without it. It does OK on the trails and watery mud, snow is fine too. But it's not hard to get it to completely bog out even in 1st gear where it just will not spin the tires. One of these days I'll get smart and buy some smaller tires lol. On the bright side those 30's fit just fine with no lift or anything haha
Awesome thanks for all the help Mac!

Reactions: mac102004

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before and After of new wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm curious what type of riding you plan to do primarily. I am not trying to disagree with Mac10, but I prefer a light, soft tire for the terrains that I ride it. I have found that a heavy, hard tire doesn't help me at all, only adversely affects the performance of my 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS. I am also about to buy some new tires, and I will likely go with a Bighorn 2.0 or a Mud Lite. Gorgeous quad you have there!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I'm curious what type of riding you plan to do primarily. I am not trying to disagree with Mac10, but I prefer a light, soft tire for the terrains that I ride it. I have found that a heavy, hard tire doesn't help me at all, only adversely affects the performance of my 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS. I am also about to buy some new tires, and I will likely go with a Bighorn 2.0 or a Mud Lite. Gorgeous quad you have there!

Bighorn 2.0's would be a good choice for you I think, based on your videos. I like the Pitbull tires as well, specifically the Growler, Bear Claw HTR's are good too, Blackwater EVO are nice but really need a heavier machine. I have a few dislikes about the BH but they are smooth on the trails.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trail and Mud. Just haven't broken it in enough to get in deep in mud lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Bighorn 2.0's would be a good choice for you I think, based on your videos. I like the Pitbull tires as well, specifically the Growler, Bear Claw HTR's are good too, Blackwater EVO are nice but really need a heavier machine. I have a few dislikes about the BH but they are smooth on the trails.

Thanks for the recommendation. Are those 2.0 BH I see on your quad in that picture? If so, what are your dislikes?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. Are those 2.0 BH I see on your quad in that picture? If so, what are your dislikes?

Yes the are. They are not as tough as the originals, and suck in mud, they seem to slide a lot rather than bite in, not on dry ground but slick areas....wouldn't call it mud really lol. The Growler is a tire that does everything better than the Bighorn but they are a heavier tire, which I think would be too much for the little 420AT even in 25.5", I haven't checked the weights on the overseas made version maybe they are closer to the BH weight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Guy I ride with has the Growlers on his commander. He also has a set on a 6x6 can-am. They will leave a trench when he stomps it lol. Very impressed with them. For the heavier machines high HP they US made growlers are awesome. But I think the weight would suck to much power on a Honda. When I decide to buy tires I'm going to get the Chinese made Growlers just to save weight. They are pricey but for all terrain riding I haven't seen a better performing tire then the growlers. The guys we ride with have all the above mentioned tires and few others and the Growlers are just that little bit better. Enough so to afford the cost of them.

Reactions: mac102004

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guy I ride with has the Growlers on his commander. He also has a set on a 6x6 can-am. They will leave a trench when he stomps it lol. Very impressed with them. For the heavier machines high HP they US made growlers are awesome. But I think the weight would suck to much power on a Honda. When I decide to buy tires I'm going to get the Chinese made Growlers just to save weight. They are pricey but for all terrain riding I haven't seen a better performing tire then the growlers. The guys we ride with have all the above mentioned tires and few others and the Growlers are just that little bit better. Enough so to afford the cost of them.
Hey Bomb. with your DCT quad do you feel like it shifts hard or doesn't shift when you want it to like when you really push in the gas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Bomb. with your DCT quad do you feel like it shifts hard or doesn't shift when you want it to like when you really push in the gas?
Mine did when it was brand new and only had a few miles on it. Once I got about 20-30 miles (about 3 rides) on it I feel like it learned my driving habits and shifted fine. I feel like in low range it still shifts as you described. But mine is a 16 and has a different shift programing than the 17 you have. I say give it until the 1st oil change then reevaluate how you feel. You're the 1st one I've heard of that wasn't happy with the way a 17 shifted. Not being a smartass or anything just saying.

I read a bunch of articles and posts about breaking in a new engine. I went with the approach of run it aggressively because you want to make sure the rings get a good seat for the 1st tank. Then I drove it as I would if it was a few years old. I think the best thing you can do is allow it to learn your riding style by riding like you plan to in a few months once it's not "new." I've heard that the PCM remembers 2 riding styles. Aggressive (sport mode) and then normal riding IRC. Also I found if it is lugging and your coming to a hill or if it's hunting between gears, if you clamp the throttle real quick it will downshift and hold that gear until you get to the top of the hill.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts