Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my 1st service, when I opened the air box to do the filter there was about a inch of oil in the bottom, where would that come from? Can't imagine someone oiling the foam filter with that much oil. How else could you get that much oil in the air box?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Check your crankcase vent ans make sure its not clogged.. Also if you wheelie a lot that will do it too

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Unrelated and just asking, you did use wet clutch approved oil during the service? As for the filter, good advise above and would clean it all out and check it weekly afterwards. I suspect the air breathing tube is clogged with a dirt dobber nest...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your crankcase vent ans make sure its not clogged.. Also if you wheelie a lot that will do it too

Are you talking the crankcase breather hose? It's a closed systym and I believe there is no vent hose, at least I cant see one. I'm new to this stuff so bare with me. I don't wheelie at all, those days are long over. Thanks for your help. Craig

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unrelated and just asking, you did use wet clutch approved oil during the service? As for the filter, good advise above and would clean it all out and check it weekly afterwards. I suspect the air breathing tube is clogged with a dirt dobber nest...
Yes correct oil, Honda GN4.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While in Wyoming for the eclipse I checked the oil every morning before riding, one morning it showed nothing on the dip stick, blew me away and I checked it a few times and still nothing, I mean WTF it's a new machine where did the oil go. I added some till it read full. The next few days it was right on till I came home. It hasn't been run since. I still don't know where the oil went but now I might know where, the air box. What I don't understand is why I got a bad reading on the dipstick that 1 morning. I'm not a novice I've ridden DS bikes for over 50 years. After breaking my foot back in April I decided maybe it's time to go to 4 wheels and bought this new ATV, my DS is going to a new owner Tuesday if I don't change my mind, it's nice having a street legal ride.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Id have to look at the manual? It should or may have a line back to the air box or intake line...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id have to look at the manual? It should or may have a line back to the air box or intake line...

Shop manual shows just a crankcase breather hose from engine to box no vent line to be found. The emmisions section said it was a sealed systym which I take as not being vented. Am I wrong in assuming that.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Wrong term... Crankcase breather is what i mean... Breather /vent same thing.. Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wrong term... Crankcase breather is what i mean... Breather /vent same thing.. Lol

The breather/vent hose is 1/2" I don't know how that could be possibley be plugged. It's over 100 now and to hot in the shop I will ck it tonite or early tomorrow. Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

If the breather hose was plugged how could the oil get in the air box?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Being a closed system i doubt youd hve to worry about that. Over filling will also do this. If you're due for an oil change I would go ahead and change the oil and filter and see how it does if it doesn't do anything after that then you should be fine

·
Registered
711 Posts
While in Wyoming for the eclipse I checked the oil every morning before riding, one morning it showed nothing on the dip stick, blew me away and I checked it a few times and still nothing, I mean WTF it's a new machine where did the oil go. I added some till it read full. The next few days it was right on till I came home. It hasn't been run since. I still don't know where the oil went but now I might know where, the air box. What I don't understand is why I got a bad reading on the dipstick that 1 morning. I'm not a novice I've ridden DS bikes for over 50 years. After breaking my foot back in April I decided maybe it's time to go to 4 wheels and bought this new ATV, my DS is going to a new owner Tuesday if I don't change my mind, it's nice having a street legal ride.
2016 Rancher owner here (practically identical to yours). Did you follow the correct procedure for checking the oil? I do not mean to be insulting, but there is a process to checking the oil correctly that involves running the engine for a certain amount of time, shutting it off, letting it sit for the right amount of time (not too short, not too long), and then using the dipstick correctly (not threading it in for the reading). If you do not follow those steps correctly, per the manual, you will not get the right oil level reading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I did, not my first rodeo. No offense taken. I ride in Az. in the winter, maybe we can get together sometime. I usually spend some time around Bouse/Quartzite area in the winter with other riders that are snowbirds from Oregon. Thanks again, Craig

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes I did, not my first rodeo. No offense taken. I ride in Az. in the winter, maybe we can get together sometime. I usually spend some time around Bouse/Quartzite area in the winter with other riders that are snowbirds from Oregon. Thanks again, Craig
That would be fun! I have noticed that a little oil has passed into my airbox on my 2016 Honda Rancher, but only enough to make the lower 1/4 of the airbox look coated/damp, not standing oil. And, I run my Rancher pretty hard at times, long distances at high RPMs or even short bursts at top speed. I've assumed that's the reason for blowby on mine. Yours has me puzzled.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
it could have been over filled from the dealer, if this is your first oil change?

as for why it showed no oil on dip stick, ?? not sure, but over filled motors will push oil out and into air box, from excessive pressures on motor
was ATv on level ground when you checked it?
and you sure dip stick didn;t get hung up maybe higher on treads like than it should have?
some times its the little things we miss? and that would explain no reading on stick?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be fun! I have noticed that a little oil has passed into my airbox on my 2016 Honda Rancher, but only enough to make the lower 1/4 of the airbox look coated/damp, not standing oil. And, I run my Rancher pretty hard at times, long distances at high RPMs or even short bursts at top speed. I've assumed that's the reason for blowby on mine. Yours has me puzzled.
Don't misunderstand me, I don't baby my Foreman, run 45+ for 5 or 6 miles and some steep climbing to 10K+ elevation on my recent trip to Wyoming. Love having FI for those hi elevation rides. Where are you in Az.?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it could have been over filled from the dealer, if this is your first oil change?

as for why it showed no oil on dip stick, ?? not sure, but over filled motors will push oil out and into air box, from excessive pressures on motor
was ATv on level ground when you checked it?
and you sure dip stick didn;t get hung up maybe higher on treads like than it should have?
some times its the little things we miss? and that would explain no reading on stick?
The dealer thing has crossed my mind. I've delt with all sorts of dip sticks over 50 years and many bikes and SXS(and people) That's why I checked it a half dozen times, had me puzzeled. Yes first oil change with filter, did one that's called for at 100 miles with out filter. Whatever the reason alls good now and I will be keeping a close eye on the air box for awhile. thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You overfilled by not following the procedure. I did the same thing. Let me explain:

I have two 2016 Ranchers. We checked the oil at the dealership when I left - level was good on both. I drove 20 miles, then the next day checked the oil, per procedure, including the warm-up period. One was good, one was EMPTY. WTF? Inspected the machine, no oil drips. Warmed it up 5 more minutes. Checked the oil. Normal level.

Do I know how this happened? No. Probably there is a pressure relief valve in the engine or something, and someone that knows can explain it to us.

My guess is that you overfilled your oil and it blew into the air filter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You overfilled by not following the procedure. I did the same thing. Let me explain:

I have two 2016 Ranchers. We checked the oil at the dealership when I left - level was good on both. I drove 20 miles, then the next day checked the oil, per procedure, including the warm-up period. One was good, one was EMPTY. WTF? Inspected the machine, no oil drips. Warmed it up 5 more minutes. Checked the oil. Normal level.

Do I know how this happened? No. Probably there is a pressure relief valve in the engine or something, and someone that knows can explain it to us.

My guess is that you overfilled your oil and it blew into the air filter.
That's the only thing I can come up with too. The oil in the box was very clean oil. Thanks for your story. That's pretty much what Creed82 above thought too, maybe I f***ed up, it's been known to happen. Usually I check oil when it's cold in the morning as I figure the oil has all drained down to the crankcase by then, I guess that's not the case with these things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts