Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, new the quad world but I have cut my teeth on Honda 3 wheelers since I was 10 but I'm new to the 4 wheeled game. In the next week I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a new quad and I'm currently looking at two, rubicon eps delux and Yamaha grizzly/kodiak. I'm going to be doing 70-80% work with the quad and the rest trail riding. So here's my question, I have two acres I'm going to be hauling wood out of my back yard and it has a 30-35 degree grade for about 100 yards with a half switchback in the middle. Just purchased a half ton DR Versa trailer with 22" tires (very nice!) and I'm wondering aside from traction will the rubicon have enough power to pull the trailer up my hill with a load of wood in it. My other option is a grizzly with a few more ponies but there's a few really good deals in my area on the rubicon eps delux. Sorry for the long winded post, any input/experience is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I'm not sure I would pull perhaps a thousand pounds of anything with an ATV of any size made by any manufacturer on a hill that steep.

You might find that your ATV can do it on flat ground, no problem. Your ENORMOUS safety issue will be stopping the load with that much weight on a hill that steep. Tire size won't matter. The load will be heavier than the bike and the trailer will give orders to the ATV and the rider will be powerless to stop it.

I would not touch this situation on a 35 degree grade . . . . ever.

Rick

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with b52. You need to either reduce the size of the load, getting the weight down to a safe level, or get you a compact tractor, use a truck, etc. Don't hurt yourself and/or damage your ATV.

·
Registered
711 Posts
To your question, I believe a Rubicon Deluxe EPS like you mentioned has enough power to pull the load. It will probably not pull it as fast up the hill as a Kodiak or Grizzly would, but it will pull it. Is this Rubicon the Deluxe version that has a low range in the transmission, or a version without. Some have it, and some don't. The low range would really guarantee that ability.

I think there's wisdom in what's being said above. Loading the trailer correctly would play a HUGE factor in mitigating the dangers mentioned above. Pickup trucks regularly tow more than they weigh, but 30 percent is a very steep grade. I would say just don't overload the trailer, load it correctly and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
To your question, I believe a Rubicon Deluxe EPS like you mentioned has enough power to pull the load. It will probably not pull it as fast up the hill as a Kodiak or Grizzly would, but it will pull it. Is this Rubicon the Deluxe version that has a low range in the transmission, or a version without. Some have it, and some don't. The low range would really guarantee that ability.

I think there's wisdom in what's being said above. Loading the trailer correctly would play a HUGE factor in mitigating the dangers mentioned above. Pickup trucks regularly tow more than they weigh, but 30 percent is a very steep grade. I would say just don't overload the trailer, load it correctly and you'll be fine.
A pickup towing more than it weighs will rely on trailer braking to assist- Firemed won't have that. The question shouldn't be whether there's enough power to pull it, but enough traction, weight, and brakes to control it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't imagine loading the trailer up to full capacity with wood and hauling it uphill, I'm thinking loads of 300-400 pounds would be more realistic, anything over that I don't think I would be comfortable with, flat level ground would be different. The rubicon is the delux eps and has the low and high range. My local Yamaha dealer pretty much sucks and gave me a pretty crappy quote on he kodiak so I'm moving on to the better option I think. Thanks for the feedback, I'm
Just concerned about pulling ability uphill but it's been a long time since I have sat on a Honda so I'm not savvy on its capabilities.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can't imagine loading the trailer up to full capacity with wood and hauling it uphill, I'm thinking loads of 300-400 pounds would be more realistic, anything over that I don't think I would be comfortable with, flat level ground would be different. The rubicon is the delux eps and has the low and high range. My local Yamaha dealer pretty much sucks and gave me a pretty crappy quote on he kodiak so I'm moving on to the better option I think. Thanks for the feedback, I'm
Just concerned about pulling ability uphill but it's been a long time since I have sat on a Honda so I'm not savvy on its capabilities.
They'll work, and that is the issue- sometimes they'll pull more than they can stop. You've got the right idea- start with lighter loads, get a feel for what it'll handle, then go from there. Stay safe.
I'm into tractors, and would be the first to say that most tractors are comparable. The difference is the dealership. Same can go for quads, within reason. I'd be more inclined to go with the Honda and a good dealership.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
100 yards doesn't seem like a very long hill? I doubt power would be the issue but you might loose traction with that much weight. I think the Grizzly would like it even less with the CVT.

Best thing to do would be to buy a yarder and set it up at the top of the hill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are working with big loads, get the manual shift Rubicon. Forget the auto-trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Headed up tomorrow to check them out, just realized it's the delux with EPS and no high/ low and Manual shift, thoughts?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am pretty sure the Rubi is rated at 1200lbs towing, something like that. They have lots of pulling power, & I have pulled several logs at a time with mine n/p. But i was in low range 4x4 as well. DCT. Its an actual gear box, so it can handle it IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Foreman has a tow rating of 850lbs. Rubicon has a tow rating of 1322lbs. I have moved my boat 3500lb boat around my yard with my DCT Rubicon. Didn't have any trouble. But my yard is pretty flat.

Will you have enough power to move your trailer? Yes. Should you, probably not. You're asking a lot out of a wheeler. Does your trailer have surge brakes? On a grade that steep. The trailer alone weighs more than half of your max tow capacity. And hauling wood it won't take too many sticks to be over capacity. If you were going to be mostly flat I would say send it. You can get a log skidding attachment that may be better suited for you application.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Headed up tomorrow to check them out, just realized it's the delux with EPS and no high/ low and Manual shift, thoughts?
Say that again. What is the gear shifting type? The manual shift doesn't have a high/low, and doesn't need one. The first and second gears with the locker engaged will get a big load up a hill.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
a 100 yards hill that steep, unless your hitting the hill witha LOT of speed behind you(NOT SMART) withja full load of wood on a trailer, your asking for issue's
a Honda will be BARELY enough on HP to do so, traction NO WaY, the wood/trailer will out weight it way too much to be safe doing so, your asking too much of an atv here
sorry,??
I work the crap out of mine too, so not one to say over work is a bad thing, but gravity is in play too much here
a 30 degree slope is pretty darn steep, with more weight behind you than pulling it

I would nit want to be trying this with anything that didn't weight at least TWICE as much as the trailer/load behind it, for pure stopping power if things go wrong!
and would need to be 4x4 as well, so no wheelie's happen or less likely for them
and if STILL dead set to use an ATV here, I would still follow this rule, have twice as much weight on ATV side than weight behind it on that steep a grade!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts