Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the ATV world, and I bought a 2016 Honda and everything is relatively great. One thing that I've been noticing though is that when I go to reverse, the shift doesn't always go into gear the first time I press the downshift button. You actually hear the shift motor actuate, but it just doesn't go into reverse. Normally, it would go into reverse as soon as I hit the button again, but sometimes it takes a few hits of the downshift button. The dealer and Honda America are saying that it's normal because of the "constant mesh transmission", but it just doesn't seem right to me... any ideas? The dealer replaced the shift motor just in case, and they properly greased the gears that the shift motor activates. They checked every single thing over, and everything else looks normal. Please help, as I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what the hell's going on.

I can tell that this behavior definitely isn't right. I went on a 9 mile trail-ride with some of my buddies yesterday and the reverse was really acting up to the point where it really put a damper on the ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
X2 with above I also had to adjust mine make sure you are at a dead stop too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys really think it's just a cable adjustment? My main concern with that is if it was just the cable adjustment, then I shouldn't hear the shift motor actuate, right? I actually perform the typical reverse procedure (pull reverse lever, then brake) and then hit the downshift button from neutral. I hear the shift motor turn, but it won't always go into reverse on the first try... I'll have to hit the downshift button twice or even sometimes three times. I feel like if it was the cable adjustment, I wouldn't hear the shift motor at all.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ok when you pull the reverse lever then the brake lever look or have another person see if the cable reverse actuator is engaging all the way. I disconnected the cable then used a clamp to engage the switch then pushed the down shift. Once that worked fine after numerous testing then I knew it was the cable adjustment. In other words it may a faulty switch problem also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I see what you're saying, but if it was either of those things, shouldn't I not hear the shift motor actually try to go into reverse? It shouldn't actuate unless the cable and switch are doing their job, right?

Also, where should I be looking to see if the reverse actuator is engaging all the way?

Please don't mistake my lack of knowledge as me doubting you! I am NOT a car/mechanical guy in the slightest. I can build you a hell of a desktop PC, but motors, etc., I do not know.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
There is a lever inside the rear crankcase cover that keeps the shift drum from turning into reverse.

When you push the R button and pull the brake lever, it pivots that lever down and allows the shift drum to turn into reverse.

When you hear the shift motor try to shift into R, if that internal lever isn't completely away from the shift drum, it will keep the shift drum from turning.

On my wife's DCT Rancher I adjusted the cable at the top to where she doesn't have to hit the R button and pull the brake lever anymore. The cable is always pulled, and the lever up inside the motor never engages the shift drum.

On most machines this would be dangerous as it could accidently be put into reverse if one was quickly shifting down, but on these DCT's the computer will not allow you to shift from D into N, or from N into R unless the speedometer reads zero, so I simply took the whole cable setup out of the equation to make it easy for her to put the machine in reverse.

If you want to temporarily try something, look on the back of your motor in the back. You will see a lever with a cable going to it. When you pull the brake lever with the red button pushed, that lever moves to the right. Have someone do that, and then zip tie the lever all the way to the right. Make sure it is pushed as far to the right as you can get it.

Try that. If it shifts into reverse better then you found your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I just called up my local tech (who has been extremely helpful), and he tried the exact same thing on a brand new rubicon on the floor (while we were on the phone), and that quad was still missing the reverse every so often. So frustrating.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Sounds like an issue of the gears not meshing up exactly then.

You have gears with dogs on them, and when the dogs are perfectly lined up the gears can't slide to mesh. I guess if you hit the shifter right when the dogs are lined up it would bind, then back off.

I run into that from time to time even on my footshift machines. Usually simply rocking the machine a hair will free everything up.

The next time yours won't shift, try throwing your weight forward and back on the machine to rock it a little, then hit the button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm... I would say it shifts into reverse about 60% of the time and has a problem the other 40% of the time, so it's pretty frequent. If I change not a thing (still have my hand in the same position on the brake and reverse lever) and then try to press the downshift button again, it will normally work. Sometimes it takes 2 additional tries.

I'm just so frustrated because I feel like 40% of the time is a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Will probably get easier as it gets broken in.

I know, not what you want to hear, but my footshifts all did better the more they were driven.

Try rocking it. Once you do it a time or two you don't even think about it. Doesn't go into gear? Rock, rock, shift, go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.